Friday, June 4, 2021

Entry 565: Five Annoyances Ranked

5. Cicadas

They are out in full force now.  The foretold invasion is upon us.  It's impossible to leave your house without seeing, hearing, and stepping on cicadas (both dead and alive).  It's kinda gross and the noise is kinda irritating, but ultimately they're harmless.  Also, they'll be gone in about a month.



[A tree full of cicadas and an up-close shot of on one emerging from its shell on my shed]


4.  Busy Schedule

This kids sports schedule is relentless -- so many practices and games.  It's our fault for signing them up for too much -- Lil' S1 is doing both baseball and soccer and Lil' S2 is doing both baseball and swimming.  So, now we know for next time, but first we have to get through this time.  Hopefully both baseball seasons will be over this weekend.  Lil' S2's will end, barring a rainout (that's the other bad thing about baseball -- so many make-up games), and Lil' S1's will end if they lose.  For some reason they have playoffs at this age.  (Cue Jim Mora: "Playoffs?!")

I wouldn't mind if they were really into it, but they aren't.  Well, it's tough to say for Lil' S2, because he's so young -- he might like it when he's older -- but Lil' S2 has zero interest.  He's really social, so he likes hanging out with the other kids, but he just shows no desire in actually playing, or even learning the rules to, baseball.  He just wants to get together and goof off, which is fine, of course, but not in that context.  Youth sports are supposed to be fun, but they're supposed to be fun within the parameters of the game.  There are kids that actually want to learn and play baseball -- that's the fun for them -- and the kids who don't want to do this can spoil it.  I know this because I was one of the kids who wanted to take it "seriously," and I never liked it when my teammates sat down on the bases or threw dirt in the air or wore their glove on their head -- all things Lil' S1 does now.

So, S and I have to plan our weekends such that we're at parks at specific times to watch our kid goof off for two hours -- and I do mean two hours.  I have no idea why the games are so long.  A game a few weeks ago started at noon, and because the last inning was especially long (both teams have to bat), it didn't end until 2:15.  Why is everything so damn long?!*

*An exception to this is Lil' S2's swim lessons.  They're a half-hour on the dot.  We can leave and be back within an hour.  It's great.

 

3. My Dental Woes

My tooth -- or rather the gap where my tooth once was -- still doesn't feel right.  It doesn't hurt, necessarily, but it does provide me some discomfort.  It's hard to explain.  Also the wire retainer on my bottom teeth broke in half and one half came off, so I have this broken, jagged piece of metal in my mouth right now.  It's lovely.  

This might be higher on the list, but I have a follow-up appointment on Tuesday, so I'm withholding my annoyance in hopes things get resolved then.  I find things so much more annoying if I have to make a special appointment to deal with them.


2. Our Pipes

I'll probably save this one for a separate post, but here's how our basement guestroom looks right now.

 


"How is this not number one on my list?" you might be asking yourself.  Because it's solving the bigger problem of sewage periodically overflowing onto our basement floor.  Also, we found out insurance is going to cover a substantial portion of it.

 

1. My Back

A few days ago I was carrying the kids up the stairs (one on the front, one on the back), and I felt a little twinge in my back.  It was small and not very painful, but I knew instantly it was going to put me out of commission for a few days, because I've felt it before.  Sure enough, it's just been nagging me since then.  It's this weird muscle strain or something that feels like somebody is punching me in the back every time I shift my weight in the wrong direction.

Even though I know it will totally go anyway in a few days, it's number one on my list, because it's like, "why?"  Why did this have to happen now of all times?  At the precise moment I most need the stress relief of vigorous exercise.

This is definitely not the worst thing on my list, but it is, hands down, the most annoying.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment