Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Post 2: Arrival

We arrived in Newcastle, Australia two days ago. The flights were long, but actually not that bad. I was expecting something much more arduous. Air travel is absolutely amazing, if you stop to think about it. Australia is about as far from the US as any country on the planet, and you can still travel between them in a little over half a day.

The culture shock so far has been pretty minimal.* They say “no worries” here instead of “your welcome”, and use weird words that I only know from crossword puzzles like “alight” and “fortnight”. Also, a lot of the men’s rooms have urinals that are long sunken troughs that I don’t like using because I feel like pee is splattering on my shoes.** Lots of little differences, but the only thing major so far is the driving on the wrong side of the road. That is going to take some getting used to, and I’m not even driving. I’m just a pedestrian. There are a few other things – public transportation is not very good and Internet is mostly slow and expensive – but I think those are things specific to Newcastle (it’s a very industrial city) not to Australia. If I lived in Sydney, I’m sure it would be a different story.

S and I went to dinner last night with some people I work with from the Uni (I’m picking up the slang). It was fun. I think I’m going to enjoy their company, which is good. It’s definitely a positive to like the people you have to spend everyday with. I inquired a bit about rugby, because I’m half-interested in learning the rules and the leagues and all that. I learned that there are actually two forms of rugby – rugby union and rugby league – and they play by different rules. The latter apparently is much less free flowing and more like football, in that you have a fixed number of tries (downs) to score. Then there is also the rugby-like sport Australian rules football (or “footy” as I hilariously saw it referred as). I don’t know anything about the play of the game, but I was told it has a very fanatical following. Apparently, a lot of suburbs have their own teams and they draw upwards of 80,000 people a game. It sounds a bit like the college football following in the US.

Anyway, jetlag is setting in, so I’m going to shutdown my computer and go to sleep. I’ll probably post this tomorrow morning. My connection is too slow to do it right now.


*I accidentally walked into a long, awkward conversation with an American in the store, and he said that I was in for a big shock, but the only reasons he gave me were that pickup trucks are more expensive, Volvos are disliked, and bacon and steaks taste different. His sense of culture seemed pretty limited to cars and meats.

**On a related note, you don’t see any sort of trough-like urinals in the US anymore, do you? Even in places like arenas and stadiums it seems like they are being phased out. Progress, I guess.

8 comments:

  1. Those bloody trough urinals are in nearly every public loo in England too. It took me almost a fortnight to get used to queueing there at the gents with other blokes. It's bollocks if you ask me (that means 'rubbish'). I'm sure you won't half enjoy the weather though

    Oh! It's almost half eight! I have to go:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoyed reading krzysztof's britishisms so much i forgot i was reading about urinals... :)

    funny story about the american dude with warnings about cars and meats - straight out of my new favorite tv show "louie".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that effect on people. One look at me and they ferget they're standing in front of a urinal...
    wait, that didn't come out right

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant 'forget'.
    I'll shut up now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've never really been to England (I spent 3 hours in Hyde Park on a layover), but I'm guessing that a lot of Australian-isms are British-isms that got passed on.

    For example, I had to fill out a form for HR and the woman told me to "tick the box", which I remember hearing on an episode of the original "The Office".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm ... Odd group of comments on this blog. I'm glad that DJG is picking up all these Australian-isms.

    Damon, why not just use the "private" stall instead of standing at the urinal trough? Or don't they have stalls?

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, you left just in time. It's the worst heat yet here. This summer is never going to end.

    I'm glad to hear you are already socializing with folks there. And, yes, I think you'd have a different experience in Sydney than in the town you are staying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, I wish I could have warned you, but really, I didnt know about this hideous cultural hazard. I do hope you find somewhere nice to rent. I'd have thought the university might have had somewhere, but what would I know?

    I am currently freezing to death in this unattractive weather so I hope you aren't too bothered by it. Soon enough it will be warm. I must insist that you get down to merwether and swim in the ocean pool. You may also like a trip to Catherine Hill Bay, which is a sweet little mining town on the south side of Newcastle.

    Do let me know via my blog if you intend visiting Sydney.

    Krystof you make me laugh, and thank you for the essay. I have just been on a conference so I will read it this week. looks fab so far.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete