Monday, November 15, 2010

Entry 32: More Beaches

[Bondi Beach, Sydney.]

Yesterday S and I went to Bondi Beach to see a free art exhibit called Sculpture by the Sea. Bondi Beach is a very beautiful (and apparently very popular) beach in Sydney. The name reminds me of 1988 US Olympic swimming star Matt Biondi – one of several now-obscure Olympians that I that I remember ardently rooting for as a lad (Mark Lenzi and Steve Timmons are two others). Anyway, the name Sculpture by the Sea is a bit misleading since there are many sculptures. Some of them were cool looking, some were hideous, but most were just there. (Oh, look, a red thing wrapped around a silver thing.) All in all it was a good exhibit and a beautiful day.

[Throngs of people at the Sculpture by the Sea Exhibit.]

We got off to a bit of a rocky start though. Newcastle is just a bit too far away from Sydney to have a proper day trip. To get there at a reasonable hour, S and I had to wake up early, and by the time we actually got to the beach we had been traveling for about 4 hours. We were both extremely hungry, but were having trouble finding a decent place to eat, because all the restaurants were full. (Apparently a free exhibit on a beautiful beach, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, in a city of 4.5 million people draws a big crowd. Who would have imagined that?) After several arguments and empty, profanity-laden threats by both S and I to “just turn around and go home”, we final settled in at Bavarian Bier Café.

[A crowded deck overlooking the beach that reminds me of parties at my old apartment in DC, back when it was my friends' apartment, where twenty people would stand on the rickety dilapidated deck. This one at least looks sturdy.]

It turned out to be a decent place. The food was pretty good and it’s tough to hate on an establishment where you can sit outside and drink half-liter steins of beer, but we did have a few issues with the staff. First off, they twice forget to bring us a bread basket we ordered. Well, actually they forgot it once, and then when we reminded them of it, they mistakenly gave it to the couple sitting next to us (who didn’t say anything because they probably just figured bread came with their meals). Then they brought us shots of some red concoction that we never ordered. We didn’t take them, but they showed up on the bill anyway. When I initially paid the bill I didn’t notice this. (The service was also quite slow, so I gave the server my credit card immediately when she arrived, so that we wouldn’t have to wait another twenty minutes to flag her down again to pay.) I brought this to the attention of a staff member and we had the following exchange.

[Feet.]

Me: Hi, I was charged for this [pointing to the bill], but we didn’t order it.
Her: Vell, [she had a German accent] it’s zee same bill vee brought you before. You have paid already.
Me: Yeah, I know. I didn’t notice it before.
Her: Vell, it is finalized. There is nothing vee can do.
Me: Can’t you credit my card or something?
Her: No. It is finalized. You should have a look first before you pay.
Me: Can I talk to your manager? [We walk inside to the manager.]
Her: [To the manager pointing at bill] This “gentleman” says he did not order these drinks, but he has already paid. It is finalized in zee computer. There is nothing vee can do, is there?
Manager: [Friendly] Probably. [To me] How about if I just give you $8 in cash?
Me: Well, it was $24 actually, 8 times 3.
Manager: Gotcha [She reaches into till and gives me the money.]
Me: [Beaming with a Cheshire Cat grin at the staffer.] Thank you.

[This piece was called Pipewang.]

Because the manager was so nice to me they saved some future business. Now, if I’m ever at Bondi Beach again looking for a place to eat, I will consider Bavarian Bier Café. Actually, I probably won’t, because I’d want to try somewhere new, but still. I appreciate the way the manager handled things. As for the staffer, what the hell? She was acting like I was asking her to deduct $24 out of her personal paycheck. What does she care? And I like how you she was trying to convince me the transaction was “finalized” and there was nothing that could possibly be done. Give me a break, it’s a restaurant tab, not divine scripture.

[A shot along the coast.]

Anyway, after lunch we walked along the beach, met one of S’s friend K and looked at all the sculptures. K is an American who has been living in Sydney since May. She was telling us some stories about her stalker. He’s not a real stalker (hopefully) just a guy who can’t take a hint. He apparently texted her roughly ten times, called her a few times, and put a note under her door (they live in the same apartment complex) all without her responding. He’s a 34 year old man, by the way. I could understand if he was 24 and just didn’t know any better, but 34? C’mon dude, give up. I mean what’s next, smoke signals?

OK, gotta go. S wants to play cards. She’s on a gin-rummy kick, because she found out that she’s better than me. For now, at least. Let me get a few games under my belt, analyze some strategies, and I won’t be fun to play with for long.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so lovely. And you were so close to where my blogger friend Fifi lives.

    I liked your German accent, too. And I'm glad it worked out in the end.

    Yes, I well remember that rickety balcony of your old place on Wyoming Avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    what's really funny is that I was there too, on the same day, but earlier. Dashed over with my daughter as my friend had work in it and would kill me if I missed it. Bondi is such a grand and noisy carnival...we didn't go to any cafes. We usually don't as it's just too likely to be a disaster.
    As we were heading back along the path to leave we noticed that the crowds had swelled to epic proportions! like us catching the last day which also happened NOT to be rainy.
    I really liked it though I find myself drawn to studying the people and surroundings more than the art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was pure madness. What I didn't even mention is that it took us 20 minutes just to get on a bus to leave, because each bus would immediately fill to capacity upon stopping. Then, it took us about 30 mins to make the 5 min trip from the beach to the metro station because traffic was so bad.

    We ended up just missing our train back to Newcastle and having to wait nearly an hour for the next one. That sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you prefer

    "We continue to experience major delays on the Red Line in both direction due to a switching signal malfunction outside our Fort Totten station"

    or just the generic ...

    "We are experiencing delays on the Orange Line in both directions due to an earlier train malfunction outside our Minnesota Avenue station. Trains are moving and one will service your station as soon as possible. The next Vienna-bound train is currently at Stadium-Armory. We regret the inconvenience and thank you for your patience."

    As for me, I'd prefer the crowded weekend at Bondi Beach.

    I'm sorry to push the matter, but I hope that you and Fifi have the opportunity to meet at some point.

    Assuming I don't get fired between now and then, I would like to visit you and S. next May or June for a few days. I'm assuming also you will still be there at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you can come visit whenever you like, provided we don't have any prior plans (e.g., we are going to NZ in Feb), although I think the weather will be starting to turn for the worse during May and June might want to try to make it sooner.

    And I'd love to meet Fifi, maybe when you come out (if not before).

    ReplyDelete