Saturday, September 24, 2011

Entry 84: Quick Update

So, just a quick update this week, although sometimes I say that and then I get rolling on something and it ends up being a not-so-quick update. But that's the beauty of having a blog with a single-digit readership, I can write whatever and however much I want.

We received and accepted an offer on our condo this week, which is great. I mean it won't be great to move. Moving sucks ass, and I love our neighborhood, but it is great in the sense that if the deal goes through (which isn't a certainty), it will free us up financially. It's not like this condo is a big albatross or anything like that, but we can't really move forward with anything until it's sold. So I'd rather sell it sooner than later. Also, it will be nice to not have to put up with this stupid staged furniture. It might be cute and all, but it's damn impractical. Who sits in a chair where the back barely extends past your belt? Who uses napkin rings at home? And who watches a TV that's not actually a TV, but just a tin box with some shiny plastic affixed to it? Nobody of course.


[Our staged apartment]


Work this week was pretty boring. I had to take a new user customer training course, just to see what it's like, and learn more about our product, but I already knew a lot of what was being taught, so I had a tendency to zone out for prolonged stretches of time. It really was a bad combination of not being super interested in the material and of just being me. I've never been able to learn well from lecture, even if I like the topic. It's just not my thing.

So, I just finished reading Bill Simmons's tome The Book of Basketball. I've never really been a huge basketball fan (that is, compared to football and baseball; compared to the average person I probably am a big fan), and ever since the Sonics were stolen from Seattle, the NBA has basically been dead to me (I'm loving the lockout -- haha, screw you NBA!), but I have to give credit where credit is due. TBOB is freakin' awesome. This guy I met recently offered to lend it to me, so I took it, mainly just to not be rude. Being that's it's approximately 800 pages seemingly half of which are footnotes in tiny print, I didn't intend on finishing it when I started casually flipping through it, but I was quickly hooked, and I read it fairly fast. If you're a hardcore sports nerd, I highly recommend it. If you aren't, I don't.

Speaking of hardcore sports nerds the moving Moneyball is out now. I plan on seeing it soon. I love that it has Brad Pitt in it. It's a much easier sell to S now. A movie largely about baseball statistics, talk about in my wheelhouse. I amazed some people (probably not in a good way) at the sports bar last Sunday, by quoting Dwight Gooden's 1985 triple crown line almost exactly. It was 24-4 record, 268 Ks, and a 1.53 ERA. I said 24-3, 276 Ks (that was the year before), and a 1.53 ERA -- not too shabby, considering Gooden just came up casually in conversation, and it was completely from the top of my head. I then proceed to tell them that John Tudor went 21-8 and had 10 shutouts the same year. Yep, I'd put my knowledge of '85-'87 baseball up there with anybody's. Seriously, if you know somebody who wants to have a mid-80s baseball trivia competition, let me know.


[Dwight Gooden's 1986 Topps baseball card (representing the 1985 season)]


OK. Time to wrap this up. I have to eat dinner and watch a few episodes of Breaking Bad before I meet some friends for a drink (S is at a bachelorette party tonight). I've gotten back into Breaking Bad after a brief hiatus. What a great show. Although, it's a bit like a drug (fitting since it's about a meth manufacturer), once I start watching I have trouble stopping, I love it while it's on, and once it's over I have a weird emotional let down. Seriously, that show really affects me for some reason. It almost depresses me. The Wire and The Sopranos (other violent crime-themed shows that I like) are easier to watch because they're about gangsters and I don't really feel for the characters. But in Breaking Bad it's a guy who got in over his head, and I really feel for him and his family (even though, morally, he's basically no better than a ganster at this point). Maybe as I've gotten older and I've started to really contemplate having a family of my own and providing for them and all that, I've become more sensitive to this type of thing. Or, maybe as I've gotten older, I've just become a bigger puss. Either one could be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment