Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Entry 100: House!



Today was a great day. We closed on our house. While killing time in a book store before closing I came across a book of crosswords in which two of my puzzles appeared. It's my younger brother's 30th birthday (which kinda makes me feel old, but still), and it's my 100th entry on this blog, to boot. That's honestly much longer than I thought I would go with this, so that's good.

Anyway, I don't have time for a long entry today, I just wanted to share the good news. Because I'm paranoid, I'm not going to post where the house is with any detail, but you can get some frame of reference from the picture below (click on it to make it bigger). The 'A' is the White House. (Due south from it you can find the Washington Monument. If you follow that west you go through the reflecting pool and hit the Lincoln Memorial, if you follow it east you go through the National Mall to the Capitol which is labeled. I never really realized how it's all arranged on an almost perfectly straight east-west line.) Our house is north of the White House at the top of the pic. It's a bit northeast of Piney Branch Park.



It's a nice house and a nice location. It seems pretty family-friendly which is good because we hope to have a family someday soon. You have to be careful in DC, because a lot of the affordable houses are in parts of the city that were once really rough, but have since become "gentrified". They're fine for adults, but the residuals of violence make them less than ideal for children, in my opinion. That is, unless you want your kid to play with malt liquor bottles when they hop out of their bulletproof stroller.

A few more pics and then I'm out. This one is my old apartment building in Adams Morgan where I live for three years from 2007-2010. I loved that place. It looks much nicer now that it has been completely refurbished.



This one is a snapshot of the intersection of 17th st and Corcorcan in the DC "gayborhood". Our closing appointment was very close to here.

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget all the spooky Masonic symbolism allegedly incorporated into the layout of the 19th Century layout of the City of Washington including astronomical ones between the U.S. Capitol, Washington Monument, White House, and other points.

    The City of Washington was the part within Boundary Street -- now Florida Avenue -- beyond which was Washington County.

    Washington County effectively disappeared as a result the District of Columbia Organic of 1871 that made Washington, D.C., a single political entity. (There was an earlier D.C. Organic Act in 1801 that created an incorporated District of Columbia from the Territory of Columbia that had been laid out about 10 years earlier.) The Virginia part had been retroceded in 1846.

    ReplyDelete