Sunday, April 22, 2012

Entry 115: Bob Loblaw


The title of this entry is a character on the short-lived TV show Arrested Development. Scott Baio played attorney Bob Loblaw purveyor of Bob Loblaw's Law Blog. It was a typical joke for that show. They did a lot of play on word humor like they had a joke about a character who was a cross between an analyst and a therapist and his business card said "Analrapist", and a character who was in love with somebody named Lucille got his hand bitten off by a "loose seal", and the name of a boat on the show was "The Seaward" (Get it? The c-word.).

I always liked the show, but not as much as some people. Although it was canceled after only three seasons, it gained a devout cult following. It's final four episodes were shown in a two-hour block opposite the opening ceremony of the 2006 Winter Olympics (I remember it being opposite the 2006 Super Bowl, but Wikipedia says otherwise). Rumor has it that the show's network, Fox, was trying to bury it over some sort of power struggle with the show's producers. In response, the producers made incest a big theme of the last episodes, as apparently Fox never liked the story arc involving sexual tension between cousins. As a result, these episodes are really weird, and not very funny, in my opinion. Actually, I thought the show really started to go downhill toward the end in general, so I'm not particularly interested in the prospect of a new season (supposedly coming to Netflix in 2013) or a movie.


[Random picture of the Embassy of the Republic of the Congo near my house.  I think somebody lives upstairs, but the rest of it is completely dilapidated and a window has been knocked out.  I guess it's fitting, the country isn't exactly a pillar of stability.]   

Anyway, it's a blah day today in our nation's capital. The weather is blah, wet and dreary, and I'm feeling blah, tired and weary. A large tropical storm is supposedly passing through the area with very high winds and heavy rain coming this evening. I guess we need the rain, it's been too dry so far this year, but the timing is quite unfortunate as S is scheduled to arrive back from a work trip tonight. I'm worried that a storm will affect her flight. Also, my work has a big conference scheduled over the next few days, many clients are coming in from out of town, and it will suck if the weather is shitty the whole time. I mean, I don't think our clients will hold the weather against us, but it would be nice if they have an overall positive experience and enjoy the area, and that's much easier to do if it's sunny out. But what can you do? As Andre 3000 says, "You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather."

Although, you actually can predict the weather. What do you think meteorologists do? There are many websites and an entire TV channel devoted solely to predicting weather. The lyric should be, "You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather very far in advance with great accuracy." That's a much better line. I should be a rapper.

I actually used to write raps as a kid.  In third grade, a friend gave me The Beastie Boys' License to Ill for my birthday, and I used to play the beats on one tape deck and record them on a different tape deck and the rap in between them.  So you'd hear the opening bells from "Girls" and then a stop and then you'd hear ten-year old me rapping and then a stop and then the bells again.  I still remember part of one of my songs, "Making Money". It went like this:

You go downtown for an occupation,
You get a quick one with no vacation.
You quit right away, and get no pay, 
And your mom gives you lip, when you get home that day.

Making money, it's the hardest thing to do,
Making money, it's all up to you.




I clearly was just doing my best to parrot The Beastie Boys' lyrical style, but still, c'mon, that's not bad for a ten-year old.  Then, when I was in seventh grade I wrote a parody to "Ice Ice Baby" all about the Gulf War.  I remember performing this in front of my class.  The first verse:

All right stop, yeah I said yield,
Hussien is back in Desert Shield.
Tryin' to start a war with the USA,
Bombs will drop from night to day.
Will it ever stop?
Yo, he hopes no,
Even at night it'll glow.
To the extreme, he's gonna shoot a scud,
We'll fire a Patriot and pray it ain't a dud. 

I think I have the original copy of this masterpiece somewhere.  I wrote it on thick off-white paper using a typewriter, and I remember that my dad found it and mailed it to me at point.  If I can find it, I'll scan it and post it.  I recall it being hilarious. But not as hilarious as the clip below.



In other news, I went out last night and stayed up way way too late. I was pacing myself with the drinks, so I'm not very hung over, but I feel like I could crawl back into bed and sleep the afternoon away. I have to wake up early tomorrow too, so I'm in that weird limbo where if I take a nap then I might not be able to sleep well tonight, but if I don't take a nap and don't sleep well tonight for some other reason, then I'll be even more sleep deprived tomorrow. To nap or not to nap? It's a real dilemma. Why does life have to pose such difficult questions?

Well, time to stick a fork in this entry.  I'm going to go to the grocery store so that the day isn't a complete waste and then I'm going to give that nap some serious consideration.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment