Friday, May 10, 2013

Entry 180: Some Disparate Topics

Health update on the little guy: he's doing much better -- plumbing's still a little off, and you can still see the rash, but he's acting normally and eating normally again.  S took him to the doctor today for a quick "everything is fine" checkup, and indeed everything is fine.  Hopefully a complete return to normalcy is nigh.

Having a sick kid is a three-pronged assault.  On one prong, you've got the actual kid to tend to which obviously is awful.  On the second prong, you have to worry about getting sick yourself (I had a fever of 103 Monday night, and contrary to what Foreigner might have you believe, it really sucked, although it was gone by the morning).  On the third prong, it's a great way to induce arguments between you and your spouse, at least, it is for S and I.  I've come to find S and I have different gauges when it comes to things like our kid getting sick.  Mine is calibrated to give as accurately a reading as possible; hers is permanently stuck on 11.  It makes for some "fun" discussions.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the supermarket the other day.  I was about to turn and enter a somewhat narrow aisle, and this woman with a cart came up at the same time from the other direction.  I misjudged / wasn't really paying attention to how much space was between us, so I kinda cut her off turning into the aisle, forcing her to stop for approximately 0.004 seconds.  I established eye contact to give her an apologetic gesture or a "my bad" or something, and my God, the look on her face.  It was as if I had just tipped her cart over, pushed her to the ground, stole her purse, called her mom a whore, and then did a Heil Hitler with my cock hanging out of my pants.  She looked so offended.

On the drive home I was thinking about why many people act this way.  It's like they're waiting, just desperately waiting, for an opportunity to be a victim, and they're going to jump at the first chance they get no matter how petty.  Do these people have emotional problems?  Or is it just a normal human reaction to immediately be offended, an unthinking response?  Maybe I do this too without realizing it.  Seemingly on cue, a car came up from behind driving way too fast (traffic is stop and go), and the driver had to slam on her brakes (like full-on skid marks and burned rubber) and swerve onto the shoulder a bit to avoid completely drilling me.  After stopping, she threw her arms up in an apologetic manner and literally mouthed "I'm sorry".  My immediately reaction: a nod and a "no worries" thumbs-up.  I concluded the woman in the supermarket has emotional problems.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is every other boy named Max now?  I knew exactly one kid named Max growing up.  Now I know seven of them, and I don't even know that many kids.  I think Max is the new Aiden, a normal, but not super common name that now is super common, because a bunch of new parents wanted a normal, but not super common name, and they somehow all picked the same one.

It must suck if you're the first Max-namer of the group.  It'd be like if you named your kid Ryan in 1973.  Nobody was named Ryan back then (seriously, try to think of somebody over the age of 40 named Ryan).  You'd be thinking your kid has this cool, unusual name, until he started playing youth soccer and the coach had to call him by his last name to differentiate him from the three other Ryans on the team.

Hey, I just thought of something.  Maybe this is why black people just make up their kids' names.  I mean, what are the chances another set of parents is naming their son Jacquizz?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other night I had to be at a function on the UMD campus in College Park.  This is between my work and my home, so you might think it would work out perfectly, but it didn't because I had to pick up Lil' S from the nanny share, right by UMD, and take him home first, and then turn around and go back whence I just came.  UMD and my house aren't super close and traffic is never great, so it felt like a huge hassle.  However, if instead of UMD, I had to go somewhere the same distance and time from my house, but in the opposite direction like, say, Arlington, VA, it wouldn't have felt like a huge hassle, because I would've been going the same basic direction the entire trip.  Same time and distance, different mindset.  It's interesting how so much of what we perceive as convenience or inconvenience is just frame of mind.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard the song "Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin today.  It reminded me that as a kid I thought the chorus went, "You make me feel like a man's sure of a woman."  What?  It makes sense... kinda.



Until next time...
 

3 comments:

  1. I saw Wayne Dyer speak once and he talked about people just waiting to be offended. He said if you are looking to be offended, you'll never be disappointed. Also he used the analogy of an orange. What's in an orange? Orange juice. What comes out of an orange if you squeeze it? Or cut it? Or peel it? Or run over it with your car? Or smash it with a hammer? No matter what you do to an orange, it's always orange juice that comes out. And it's the same with a person. If someone is filled with anger, that anger comes out no matter what happens to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new food: victimfruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid, I heard it as "You make me feel like a man should a woman." Similar to your kid version, off but still kinda makes sense.

    ReplyDelete