Saturday, December 14, 2013

Entry 212: Hyperdrive

Just got back from a dinner party.  You can tell we took the little guy because it's not yet 9:00 p.m., and we already attended and came back from the party.  It was pretty fun.  The hosts have a six-month old; another couple who came have an 18-month old; so with our 16-month old, there was a decent under-2 years contingency in the house. 

I spent most the night stopping Lil' S from knocking over wine glasses and poking the baby in the eye*, but when I wasn't doing these things, I was keenly observing the 18-month old.  I wanted to compare and contrast his behavior with Lil' S's.  I'm trying to figure out if all little boys are as hyper as Lil' S or if he's exceptionally spazzy.  Tonight was a data point in favor of the latter.  The 18-month old was totally chill.  Well, totally chill by toddler standards, at least.  He was still motoring around and laughing and playing.  But he wasn't trying to climb every piece of furniture he saw; he wasn't grabbing everything in his reach; and he even sat down and let his dad read to him for five minutes.  I was shocked.  That would never fly with Lil' S.  Unless he's sleeping or strapped down, he's not staying in one place for longer than 20 seconds.  Now, this other kid is two-months older than Lil' S, but I can't foresee Lil' S mellowing anytime soon.  All kids are different, and I think S and I just got one who's in hyperdrive 95% of the time.  The joke in my family is that I was like that when I was his age, and now it's some sort of cosmic payback.  I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of this contention; I don't remember how I acted at 16 months.


In other news about the little guy, he can kinda talk now, by which I mean he says five distinguishable words -- "uh-oh", "no", "go", "bye", and "ball".  That's the extent of his vocabulary so far, and with some of the words you have to extrapolate.  Like with ball, he just says "bah", but you know he's talking about a ball because he's pointing to one.  He's also learned how to get his ball on command.  I'll say, "go get your ball," and he'll go find it and bring it me.  It's pretty cool.  He's worked his way up to the level of a golden retriever.

Anyway ...

My parents came to town last week which was really nice, other than the fact the weather was completely miserable just about the entire time they were here.  It even snowed a good amount one day.  My parents must be some sort of rain gods as every time they come to visit we have extreme weather, like hurricanes and derechos.  Well, either they're rain gods, or it's total coincidence that the last three times they've come to visit there has been an extreme meteorological event.  Hmm... actually, that second seems believable as well.  Maybe they aren't gods.  Whatever the case, the weather kept us inside for most their trip (not that we would've done a whole lot, anyway).  But it was great to see them nonetheless.  I wish we didn't have this whole opposite coast thing going on.  The problem with this country is that it's too damn big.  If we were Danish, and we lived on opposite sides of the country, we could see each other all the time.  But in our bigass country the best we can do is twice a year, three times times tops.  Well, I suppose it could be worse.  We could be Russian.


Alright.  That's all I got tonight.  I woke up long before the break of dawn this morning.  I'm tired.

Until next time ...
  

*He literally poked him in the eye.  We let him touch the baby, and of all the types of touches in the world -- stroke, caress, pat, dab, daub, tap, rub -- he went with the eye-poke.  Baby was annoyed, but unharmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment