Friday, August 29, 2014

Entry 248: Birthdays 2 and 37

My birthday was Thursday.  It was fine.  I don't really like making a big deal out my birthday because -- I just don't.  I'm not into gift giving or receiving, and parties in my honor make me feel uncomfortable, which is weird because I'm pretty narcissistic.  (I know, I don't really understand it either.)  Plus, this is the time of the year in which everybody is out of town.  Last year, at S's urging, I set up a birthday event at a nearby bar -- just a hey-let's-all-meet-at-this-place-at-this-time type of thing and out of the 15 or so people who were invited, exactly one person (other than S and I) could make it.  So we just canceled it.  That's what I get for trying.

Come to think of it, we should have gone through with it, and then when our one friend showed up, and asked where everybody is, we could have said, "Oh, it's just us and you."  That would have been kinda funny.  It reminds of this time I went with my friend RB to a bar for the birthday of a random guy on her flag football team, and we were the only people who showed up.  I felt bad for the dude.  He was only like 25, and he was this big gangling, awkward kid.  He was a nice guy, but it was pretty obvious that social interaction was not his forte.  And now for his birthday the only people who came were a flag football teammate he barely knew and her friend he didn't know at all.  To make matters worse, we just stopped by for a quick beer on our way to a different party.  We invited him with us, but he felt compelled to stay in case other people came.  So we just left him at the table by himself with a gigantic drink in a novelty glass the bartender gave him when she carded him and saw it was his birthday.

I look at all the lonely people ... where do they all come from ...



Anyway, the in-laws are in town right now, so I got dosas on my birthday, which is a pretty good birthday meal.  Also, our friends E & M stopped by for a little while.  E is horrified by the notion of somebody not being properly celebrated on their birthday, so she brought over a little ice cream cake, which was very nice of her.  It said my name on it and everything.  I love ice cream cake.

S and I had plans to see a movie tonight, but the movie I want to see (Boyhood) is three hours long and the only showing we could go to is 8:30, which means we wouldn't be getting home until like midnight, and that's way past S's birthday, so we bought tickets for a matinee show tomorrow instead.  The thing about staying out late is that not only does S start to get sleepy, but I start to get anxious.  With work and Lil' S and everything I get so little time to myself to just nerd-out that I absolutely crave the few hours I get before I go to sleep at night.  Sometimes when we're out, I'll start itching to get back before it gets too late.

Actually, what I really wanted to do tonight is go to the Nationals-Mariners game with King Felix on the mound, but the game is in Seattle so that would be quite a commute.  I suggested we go to a bar to watch it.  S refused initially, but she relented once I played the birthday card.  But the game starts even later than the movie (10:00 pm our time) and could potentially be longer, so we'd probably get kicked out of the bar because S would be sleeping at the table.  Plus, I don't feel like drinking because I actually get to sleep in these days (here's to early-rising, doting grandmas!), and I don't want to sully my good sleep with alcohol.



In other birthday news, we had a party for Lil' S's last Saturday.  It went well.  We were worried initially because it was supposed to rain all day -- and it did -- and our plan was to have all the attendees hang out outside, and then when the rains came, we weren't sure we could fit everybody inside comfortably.  But it all worked out.  S booked an entertainer -- a woman who sang and made balloon animals and shit like that -- and so she took all the kids and a few parents downstairs and the rest of us hung out upstairs.  So we were all spaced out nicely.  I gave S a ton of grief over hiring the woman too, so I had to eat crow on that one.  She saved us.  I have to rein S in sometimes for getting too elaborate and biting off more than she can chew, not only with planning parties, but with life in general.  But this time it really worked out to our advantage.

Alright that's all I got.  Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment