Saturday, April 18, 2015

Entry 281: Crossword Puzzle Inside Baseball

I'm afraid it's another quasi-non-entry on this blog again this weekend.  My parents left today and since I spent most my free-time hanging out with them, I'm behind the 8-ball, so to speak, with typical life stuff, and I need the rest of the weekend to catch up.  However, I do have something to talk about briefly.

I made a crossword puzzle that ran today in the New York Times.  It's a Saturday puzzle which means there is no theme, and it's hard -- like, damn-near impossible for somebody who doesn't do puzzles regularly.  But it's a "low word count" puzzle, meaning there are a lot of long answers stacked on top of each other which makes the grid more interesting (and harder for the constructor to fill).  It allows for snappier fill than you will see in, say, a typical Monday puzzle.  I encourage you to try it if you have access to today's NYT.  You can always try and use Google if need be.

Also you can follow an online "discussion" between me and some people on the Internet who are critical of my puzzle.  Basically, some commenters at various websites said it is too "trivia" oriented and that there are too many proper nouns, so I wrote a quasi-rebuttal (warning: contains spoilers) at my seldom used Scrabble/crossword puzzle blog.  It's fascinating stuff!  Or at least it is, if you like petty arguments about crossword puzzles.

[A model of the solar system is called an orrery.]

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment