Monday, May 25, 2015

Entry 286: Happy(?) Memorial Day Weekend 2015

What's the proper adjective to use when wishing somebody a [blank] Memorial Day?  Is it OK to use "happy?"  If you think about the meaning of Memorial Day, "happy" just doesn't seem appropriate.  It's like wishing somebody a happy funeral.  Have a solemn Memorial Day?  A somber Memorial Day?  A respectful Memorial Day?  A freedom-filled Memorial Day?  I'm not sure.



Anyway, this entry is coming at you a bit later than usual.  That's because I was out of town, visiting the in-laws in SC, and I didn't have my personal computer with me.  It was a nice visit, as usual.  The best part about going there is that I get to sleep in everyday.  S's mom wakes up with the little man, so S and I can get some rest.  It's much needed too, as he's been wearing us out (S especially -- he's a mama's boy).  He's a typical almost-three-year-old, if somebody gave a typical almost-three-year-old a quad-shot espresso every morning.  He's supercharged.  And I'm not just saying that because he's my kid.  I've been around many other kids his age, and Lil' S is especially hyper and impish.  He just can't ever do anything "normally" (except zone out and watch iPad; he's very normal in that regard) -- like instead of just drinking water, he pours it from one cup into another into another and then drinks it; instead of just eating, he puts food in his mouth does a lap around the kitchen and then chews it and swallows (I'm trying very hard to put the kibosh on that one; it's a choking hazard); and instead of just sitting next to me, he climbs on my head, or he climbs to the top of the sofa and cannonballs onto the cushions below.  Admittedly, a lot of the stuff he does is really funny and cute, especially when my in-laws feebly try to stop it (he runs circles around them -- literally), but it's also tiring.  And I find myself in the role of "disapproving parent" -- "c'mon, knock it off," "get down from there," "stop! now!," "do you want a timeout?" -- much more than I would like to be.  Oh well.  C'est la vie.

My patience with Lil' S was especially thin this weekend as I was pretty sick.  I think early in the week I caught what he had last weekend, and it just lingered.  It was what I call a "bad break up sickness."  You know how when you go through a heart-break, you're miserable, but the misery is constantly changing -- like at first you're sad ("I'll be in my room drinking orange juice and watching Swingers on endless loop if you need me."), then angry ("Fuck him/her!"), then self-righteous ("I mean, setting aside our relationship, I just feel betrayed on the friend level."), then lonely ("I'll never find somebody that perfect again."), and then you go through a long stretch where you think you are better ("I'm just doing my own thing right now."), but then six-months later you find yourself crafting an email containing a transparently lame reason to see your ex again ("Hey, Sorry if I was a jerk before.  Just cleaning the bathroom and I found a half-used bottle of that conditioner you like.  Want to meet for coffee so that I can return it?")?  Well, that's how this sickness was.  I went through every major symptom -- earache, stuffy nose, sore throat, cloudy head, sinus headache, achy muscles, etc. -- and then I thought I kicked it on Friday and again on Saturday, but it just lingered and lingered.  Very annoying.  I think it finally, actually, really is gone now though  (i.e., I met somebody else who I legitimately like).  But it wiped me out for a few days.

So, let's see what else there is to say about this weekend ... Oh, Lil' S got his first buzz cut -- unfortunately.  I'm not a fan of the buzz cut.  In my opinion, the only people who should get buzz cuts are military personnel and balding middle-aged men (I've been resisting the buzz cut for years; eventually I'm going to have to give in).  If you have a full head of hair, why on Earth do you want to shave it all off?  Flaunt that shit!  I definitely do not like the way Lil' S looks right now.  And nobody intended for him to get it cut that way.  What happened is, my in-laws took him to get it cut, and there was some sort of confusion in the type of cut (remember, English is not their first language and they live in the South), and next thing they know the barber has already shaved half his head.  So now he's running around looking like a little Marine.  It reminds me of that scene in Boyhood when the step-dad cuts the boy's hair without his permission.   Anyway, like I said, I don't like it.  But Lil' S certainly doesn't care, and it will grow back in short order, so no harm, no foul, I guess.



Ok, I gotta go soon.  Lil' S is going to wake up from his nap at any moment.  (That's one nice thing about him.  He still crashes out for a few hours everyday.)  So let's do a quick five and out.

  1. I started streaming Louie again on Netflix.  I'm on Season 4.  I liked the first three seasons okay -- nothing special, just decent -- but this season he's gone to a whole new level.  I think it's fantastic.  It's my favorite show on TV right now.
  2. Speaking of TV, as you might have heard, David Letterman retired.  Like all comedy lovers of my generation, my sensibilities were shaped by Letterm- Oh, wait ... I never liked David Letterman and didn't watch his show.  I don't get the late night genre in general.  I've never liked any of those shows.  I don't get the attraction.  Nothing against Letterman, and a lot of people I think are funny cite him as a major influence, I just never though he was that good, even in his early shows that everybody swears by.
  3. S is thinking about taking the GRE at some point, so she's been practicing math problems.  Every now and then I help her out and I feel like Good Will Hunting: Do you know how easy this is for me.


  4. Running a marathon is kind of a big deal.  Running a 10K is not.  Just a little PSA for my Facebook friend who plastered his page with pics of himself finishing a 10K like he had just completed an Iron Man competition.  10K is about 6.5 miles.  I used to run that weekly with a friend, and we weren't even "runners."  It's just not that far.
  5. Speaking of iron men ... Since it's Memorial Day, here's a link about a guy I was friends with in high school.  When I first met him he was a temperamental little pipsqueak; as you can see, he didn't stay that way.  He did quite well for himself, and his is a sad story.  Very sad indeed. 
Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment