Saturday, October 17, 2015

Entry 305: My Favorite Cartoonist

I'm short on time and energy this weekend.  Lil' S1 has a busy schedule, which means I have a busy schedule as well.  Also, I haven't been sleeping enough.  I'm on a roughly 1:15 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. sleeping schedule, which is manageable if I can sleep-in one weekend day.  Like, if I sleep six and a half hours, six days a week, and then sleep in without an alarm on Saturday or Sunday, I'm good.  I just need on morning to totally crash out and pay off my sleep debt that accrues throughout the rest of the week.  I used to be able to do that, but now Lil' S1 has soccer Saturday mornings, and S has sessions with a personal trainer on Sunday mornings, so I'm S.O.L.

Also, I might be coming down with something.  Or I'm just feeling the effects of forgetting to drink coffee this morning.  I'm not sure.  I have a pot on now, so we will see if I feel better after I get my drug in me.

All of this is to say I don't have time for a long entry this weekend.  But I wanted to post something I saw online by Bill Watterson, the guy who wrote Calvin & Hobbes, my favorite strip of all-time.  It's a comic about "success" that really rings true to me.  One line that particularly grabs me: "Someone who takes an undemanding job because it affords him the time to pursue other interests and activities ... is considered a flake."  Sometimes I think that I should be more ambitious with my career -- try to "move up the ladder," try to make money, try to take on more responsibility, try to acquire more prestige.  But then I think "nah ... that sounds terrible."  And I go back to the crossword puzzle or the blog I was working on.

Anyway, here's the comic.  I found it genuinely touching.

(Note: the writing is kind of small/blurry below, so here's a link to a clearer copy.)









2 comments:

  1. HELL YES! Re: the cartoon. I 100% agree. I've turned down "good" jobs that seemed too much "work" and have forged my own career path. I'm not afraid of hard work, but it's going to be on things I am passionate about. I had my epiphany when the President of my local chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners asked me to become Membership Director and I declined because I was pregnant with my first child and didn't want the extra responsibility. She tried to convince telling me how she built her business when her daughter was young because she was willing to work 16 hour days. I said without even thinking, "I don't want to work 16 hour days." And that was that. I could tell she was disappointed in me, but I didn't care. I was flattered she saw potential, but didn't give a damn she thought I wasn't living up to it. I know better. I do things I love and I do them as best I can. What's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. One the best parts of my job is that I can do my work during the day and be done -- no nights no weekends.

    ReplyDelete