Sunday, April 17, 2016

Entry 329: Night Out

Feeling groggy today.  My good friend DK was in town for a work conference this week, and we went out last night.  Actually, as it so happened, some other friends of mine were having a joint birthday party at a bar here in DC, so S and I were planning on going out anyway, and so DK came along with us.  It was definitely a we-are-all-almost-40 party; it started at 6 p.m. and only went to 9 p.m. because so many people have kids now.  S didn't even make it to the end.  She bailed about 8 and then DK and I went out for a "night cap" afterward.  We also had to get a late night snack.  We both ate dinner at the bar, but it was one of those trendy places that sell super overpriced, small meals, and everything on the menu sounds super pretentious -- like they sell a hamburger, but it comes topped with gruyere cheese and bone marrow.  I order a "fancified" rib eye steak, and it was actually quite good (my tongue doesn't discriminate against pretension), but the portions were tiny, so afterward we had to go to a sports bar in my old stamping grounds and get some buffalo wings.

Both of us are well past our drinking primes, so it was actually a pretty mellow night.  (On the major plus side, I only feel kinda groggy this morning instead of incredibly hung over.)  Also, I was super tired last night; Saturday is S's sleep-in day, so I had been up with Lil' S1 since 6:30 a.m.  At one point toward the end of the night, we were debating about whether or not we should get a last beer and wisely decided against it.  I went to the bathroom, and on the way back got us a couple glasses of water, and said, "C'mon man, we can't wimp out so early, I got us another round!"  And DK let out an exacerbated sigh and gave me a side-eye look before realizing it was just water, and then he said, "Oh yes!  This is perfect.  Just what I wanted."  That's where we are at in life: Excited by water.

But even if we can't throw down like we could in our twenties, it is still great to get together.  We've known each other since preschool (literally) and have been good friends since high school.  We went to different colleges and often lived in different parts of the country, but we always managed to keep in touch and hang out over the summer and whatnot.  He lives in Connecticut now and has two young kids, so we are at very similar stages in life.  And both of us are on the other side of the country from our "home," so although I hadn't seen him in years, we've had a lot of parallel experiences.  Plus, he lives very close to his in-laws, and I currently live with my in-laws (or maybe it's more accurate to say they live with us), so there is never a shortage of relatable tales to tell about our current lives.  And when there isn't we can always reminisce about the "good old days," which weren't actually especially good; it's just that you tend not to remember the bad days.  Nostalgia is bullshit.


In other news, Lil' S2 has made some big breakthroughs of late.  He can full-on crawl now, and he can stand up if he has something to grab onto.  If he keeps up this pace he is going to be walking much earlier than average kid -- but that's a big if.  Kids develop at their own (nonlinear) pace, so you never know when the milestones are going to occur.

Actually, that's all people, not just kids.  My twenty-year high school reunion is coming up this summer.  I won't be able to make it, because I already have plans that weekend (and it doesn't really fit in with our summer travel plans anyway).  But I'm on the FaceBook thread for it, so I've been looking through people's profiles, and is quite interesting to see how everybody aged -- who has kids, who's single, who has what job, who's political (right and left), who's gay, who's balding (check), who's going gray, who got chubby, etc.  Now it's FaceBook, so of course you are not getting an accurate portrayal -- nobody puts up posts about what a fat loser they are (actually, one of my old classmates does that, but she's trying to funny, which she is), but you can still kinda puzzle it together.  And it's really interesting to think about what people were like in high school, grade school even compared to what they are like today.

Alright, I'm going to have to end this entry pretty abruptly.  Lil' S1 is getting up from his nap, and he will mostly definitely demand my attention.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment