Saturday, March 17, 2018

Entry 415: More Stitches

Following in his brother's footsteps, Lil' S2 fell at daycare and busted his head open, requiring stitches.  I had to pick him up and take him to urgent care.  It actually went very smoothly -- a pleasant surprise -- all things considered.  Unlike big brother, who injured himself late on a Friday night, little brother had the courtesy to do so in the middle of the workday, so we could take him to urgent care instead of the ER -- so much easier.  The waiting room was literally empty when we arrived, and we were seen by the physician within twenty minutes, and that includes the time it took to fill out the paperwork, take his vitals, sit in that little room, etc.

The wound wasn't long but it was deep.  It took two sutures to seal it.  The physician gave me the option of numbing it with anesthetic or just doing a quick hit-it-and-quit-it.  I went with the latter.  As she (the doctor) explained to me, sometimes numbing makes things worse because it still requires a needle poke, and it burns a little at first, and it prolongs things, and that area feels weird for a while after the procedure is over, which some patients, especially kids, don't like.  For two stitches, it seemed to me no anesthetic would be the least discomforting option.


And I must say, he took it amazingly well.  He was stoic throughout almost the entire process, only shedding a few tears when the little hook they use actually pierced the skin.  "It hurts!  It hurts!"  Then when it was over -- and it only took two or three minutes -- it was like nothing had happened at all.  It's incredible how resilient kids are.

S and I were both working from home when daycare called, but S had an important meeting coming up, so I had to go.  I was annoyed at first, but it's a very good thing I went instead of her.  She can't handle seeing the kids in any sort of pain, to the point that she has to leave the room when they get a vaccine shot.  For this, I had to be there front-and-center, holding his heading still and comforting him.  I don't think S would have handled such a duty very well.  I didn't like seeing my son in pain, of course, but it was pretty interesting to see the doctor at work up close.  She did a real good job... or so it seemed to me anyway -- it's not like I'm an expert on suturing wounds.

In other news, March Madness is upon us, which means I'm fanatically keeping tabs on all the games.  Last night I was up until 1 am watching the end of a borderline blowout because I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep without knowing the result for certain.  The thing is, as I've mentioned before, my company does an office tournament competition -- it's a little different then the standard one -- and I've won it three of the past five years (I've only played six total).  There is only one person in the office who has ever won four times, and he did it over like 25 years, so I would basically be the all-time champ if I win this year.  And I'm currently in the lead!  The thing is, it's just for fun, but it also makes me look smart, and looking smart in front of your coworkers and bosses is never a bad thing.


There was a giant upset in the tournament.  The little-known (outside of the greater Baltimore area) school University of Maryland Baltimore County became the first 16-seed to beat a 1-seed (University of Virginia) in the history of the tournament.  Two coworkers of mine and my boss' son attended UMBC, and I've never once heard a single mention of the basketball team before this -- I didn't even know they had one.  The upset did not help or hurt me in my picks, but it could hurt me this round.  I need them to win again tomorrow against Kansas St. (a low pick for me), but that's highly unlikely -- I suspect it was fluke win over Virginia and flukes don't generally happen again, which is why they're flukes.  But, you never know -- we shall see.

That's all I got for today.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment