Friday, December 20, 2019

Entry 490: Welcome to Miami

Getting ready to head out of town.  Early tomorrow morning, we embark on a road trip to Miami, F-L-A.  We are taking our talents to South Beach.  Actually the bulk of the trip will be spent at a retirement community in Tampa (and on the road), but that doesn't sound nearly as exciting.


[This song is so old it can legally drink -- crazy.  Also, an Eva Mendes appearance in the video, before she got big, and way before she collaborated again with Will Smith in the all-time classic "Hitch."  (You forgot that movie even existed, huh?)]

This will be my first trip to S's parents' new place.  It should be good -- relaxing, hopefully.  I'm not too excited about the drive.  We have to break it up into two days, each way, so we're spend four days on the road.  We strongly considered flying, but flying is so expensive this time of the year.  Also, it comes with its own annoyances -- getting to and from the airport, dealing with delays, not having schedule flexibility, not having (or needing to rent) a car in Florida, being limited in what luggage we can bring, etc.  With kids these annoyances are exacerbated, especially dealing with car seats.  I hate car seats, so much.  I mean, it's good that they keep kids safe(r), but they are such a pain when it comes to traveling.  I can't wait until we are done with them.  Although, the way laws are now, you need a booster seat until you're, like, 175 pounds or 25-years-old.  You'd think car companies would invent some sort of standard, adjustable, built-in seat-harness that would work for kids and adults, but they haven't for some reason -- maybe they're in cahoots with Big Car Seat.

Actually, why don't cars have that?  Why aren't the backseats of cars built specifically for kids, considering that's who mostly rides in them?  Then, if an adult needs to sit in the back, you can pop out the standard kid seat and put it in the trunk or something.  Doesn't that make infinitely more sense?  Or better yet, the seat could be adjusted for adults or kids the same way the driver's seat can be adjusted for different sized drivers.  Imagine being able to take a Lyft or ride in a friend's car knowing that your kids will always fit.  What a Utopian thought!

Anyway...

In my last post I said I would give my ranked list of Democratic candidates.  But, then I said I might not because I might not feel like doing it this week, and that indeed is the case.  Well, actually, it's more that I don't the time than I don't want to.  There's so much to do, and I need to do it, in part because it needs to be done, in part to keep the peace.  S can sometimes get, let's say, particular about trips like this.  Basically, she wants to do everything her way, but she also wants me to do a lot of it.  This wouldn't be a problem if I was a mind reader, but sadly I am not.*  This used to cause a lot of squabbles, but I think we're getting better at handling it.  For my part, I just do things my way, and then at least they're done.  For her part, I think she's getting better at not sweating the small stuff.  There's a big out-of-sight-out-of-mind component to this too.  Like, if she's away on business then she doesn't really bother about the kids, because she knows I can handle them.  But, if she's at home watching the kids eat, then she gets all stressed if one of them doesn't finish his milk or something like that.  So, if I just do things and say "don't worry, I took care of it" then things typically go more smoothly.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway.  If you asked S, she might have a totally different opinion on the matter.  But, as I frequently say, I'm the one with the blog, not her, so you necessarily get my point of view.

Until next time...

*Back in, like, 2005 I did online dating, and one of the profile questions was, "If you were a superhero, what superpower would you want to have?"  I put "mind-reading," thinking it was a somewhat interesting, outside-the-box answer.  But, then, like, 75% of the profiles I viewed said the same thing.  It makes sense; in dating the ability to read minds would be very helpful.  Although, thinking about it now, it's a pretty creepy answer.  Mind-reading is a total invasion of privacy.  I wouldn't pick that as my superpower today out of respect for everybody else.  (I might pick to have the brain processing power of a supercomputer.  That'd be pretty cool.)

Also, I'm not sure how helpful it would be to read people's thoughts.  Would you be able to make sense of it or would it come out as a dreamlike stream of consciousness?  And it certainly wouldn't be fair to judge people on their thoughts.  I think some terrible thoughts; everybody thinks some terrible thoughts .  We literally can't help it.  We have no control over what horrendous things pop into our heads at a given moment.  What makes us who we are is how we act (or don't) on these terrible thoughts.  And that we do have control over... I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment