Monday, April 20, 2020

Entry 506: Quarantine Activities

My top 10 Quarantine Activities

10.  Jumping (kinda) on a trampoline
As I mentioned before, we got a big trampoline for our backyard.  The weather hasn't been terrific of late, but we've still been able to use it a decent amount.  I found I don't really like jumping on it.  It's pretty fun (and it doesn't hurt my back, like I was worried it would), but it makes me feel kinda seasick when I'm done.  It's a bit like going on an amusement park ride, and last time we went to an amusement park, I found I don't have the stomach for rides anymore.  Actually, it's more the head than the stomach.  I get a weird achy, light-headed feeling when I jump for an extended period of time on the trampoline.  It's not awful, but it's uncomfortable.

Of course, I was trying to do a flip.  I probably should have mentioned that.  I actually got to the point where I could do a full revolution, but I couldn't land it with out falling.  If I practice a bit more, I bet I could get it.  That would mean more queasy head, but it would also mean more coolness if I could actually do it.  We shall see.

In the meantime, I play this game with the kids where I throw a big rubber ball at them, and they have to dodge it.  They love it, and there's very little bouncing involved.  It's not a great idea for an adult and a child to jump on a trampoline at the same time, anyway.

9.  Applesauce making
I got my recipe down.  It's pretty complicated: Cut up apples, boil apples, strain apples, puree apples, put apples in a container, add sugar and cinnamon, refrigerate.  Lil' S2 loves it.  I'll make a batch with four or fives, and he'll put it down in two sittings.

8.  Watching Netflix
Like everybody else.  We went from Cheer to Tiger King, and then didn't have anything lined up, so we went to season three of Stranger Things.  It's... fine, I guess.  It's basically the same show as before.  The tagline for this season could have been -- Yep, we're doing it again -- but the characters are older and more interesting now, so it's good enough to keep watching... barely.

7. Watching The Simpsons
Lil' S1 has gotten really into it.  The entire catalog is on Disney+.  He started at episode one, and has just been plowing through them.  He also found my episode guide on our bookshelf, so he's been following along in there as well.  I watch episodes with him whenever I can.  Even Lil' S2 watches with us sometimes.  They are far too young for the show -- I know this -- but we enjoy it way too much to wait until they’re older.  I’m often surprised, occasionally dismayed, and always proud of how much of the story they understand and how funny they find the jokes, even the ones they clearly don’t "get."

6. Playing Trivia on Zoom
I've done it twice already and have a third game this weekend.  It works pretty well.  The host reads the questions for a round, and then you get put in a "breakout room" with your team to discuss and submit your answers.  It's not as fun as in-person trivia, obviously, but if you're cooped up inside it's a nice activity.

5. Hiking
S has gotten into this.  Every weekend she finds a new place for us to go.  The only problem with this is that any decent place is going to be ridiculously crowded.  It's like those pictures you see of people waiting in line to summit Everest, only you have to be six feet apart at all times.

4. Avoiding Presidential Briefings
I don't listen to them, and I'm a happier man because of it.  There's just no reason to listen to the stream of unadulterated, unhelpful, barely comprehensible palaver that comes out of our president's mouth.  If you want to stay informed, listen to the NPR news podcast every morning.  They will tell you if the president actually says something you need to know.  They listen so you don't have to.

3. Reading The New Yorker
Another good way to stay informed.  Reading articles in The New Yorker is a bit like going to the gym though.  Actually getting started takes some effort and discipline, but then once you get going you enjoy it, and it feels satisfying when you're done.

2. Taking Zoom Exercise Classes
Speaking of the gym, there's really no reason for me to continue my membership.  It's expensive, and the main benefit, the in-person self-defense training, obviously isn't being received right now.  But, I didn't quit, because it's not their fault the whole world is getting sick right now.  So, I take their live online course everyday at 5:00 pm.  It's not worth what I pay, but it is better than working out on my own.

1. Crossword puzzles
As always.

No comments:

Post a Comment