Sunday, June 7, 2020

Entry 515: Blacks Lives Matter: Portraits Of A Protest, Part Two

More pictures from Saturday's protest in DC.  For part one click here.




I like the creativity of the sign, and if you look closely you'll notice he's wearing a NASA cap.  Decent nerd cred.




Good shot of the underpass at Scott Circle.




I saw a decent amount of anti-police signage displayed in front of law enforcement officers, but everybody got along.  It's amazing how things stay peaceful when nobody is posturing as a battlefield opponent.




I can't remember what organization put up these signs, which is unfortunate, because they were letting people use the bathroom (including me), and I wanted to thank them for it.  We frequent pee-ers rely on the kindness of others.




A good spattering of these signs around as well.  I saw some people on Twitter express disapproval of them, because it was not about the actual issues of the protest (BLM and policy brutality).  But a dusting of explicitly anti-Trump sentiment is always fine by me.




Strong cosign.




Kneeling in solidarity and remembrance of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and so many others... Philando Castillo, Alton Sterling, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Abner Louima... and that's just off the top of my head.




The diversity of people turning out to protest was truly impressive.




I wore a mask; just about everybody wore a mask, but it was nearly impossible to stay more than six inches apart from people, let alone six feet.




As I was riding home, this group happened to be marching in the same direction, so I pedaled along slowly and chanted with them.




Somebody started speaking from a microphone about five yards from me.  It turned out to be Mayor Bowser.  I don't have strong feelings about her as a mayor -- she's fine (although I helped vote out her boy Brandon Todd in my ward) -- but she's a good orator.

After listening to her, I started daydreaming about what I would say to this group of people if somebody handed me the mic and told me to talk, and I must say I came up with some pretty moving words.  (I'm a star in my own head.)  I even wrote them down in this entry, but I accidentally deleted them, and I just don't have it in me to write them down again.  So, that's it.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment