Saturday, March 20, 2021

Entry 554: You Don't Know What You Want Until You Get It

Lil' S2 is a bit sick right now.  It has all the makings of the common cold -- coughing, congestion, lots of phlegm.  Of course, given the state of public health the past year, one's mind immediately goes to coronavirus anytime anybody around them sniffles, but I don't think that's it.  And if it is, what are we going to do about it, anyway?  Everybody in this house has all already been totally exposed, and we can't exactly quarantine a four-year-old.  We are keeping him home (no pod, no park, etc.); we are keeping an eye on him; and we are monitoring ourselves and his brother for symptoms (so far so good on that front).  I thought about getting him tested for Covid, but, really, what's the point?  We won't know for, like, a week, and by that time he will probably be better either way.  A test would in no way change our behavior regardless of the result.

This underscores the problem with testing right now.  As people start congregating more and things start opening back up (except schools), testing in which you have to wait longer than a few minutes to get your results is totally inadequate.  Nobody is getting tested, quarantining for days until they get their results, and then going out.  We are no longer at that stage, and we aren't going back, even if perhaps we should.  I was listening to a podcast the other day, and a public health expert was saying that we probably put too many resources into a vaccine and not enough into rapid testing.  I was on that in the fall when it became clear the virus had survived the summer, and we were in for a tough winter.  Here's what I wrote:

If I were in charge (if only...), I would probably start shifting resources toward disposable at-home testing.  If we got a semi-reliable, affordable Covid test, similar to a pregnancy test, where you could swab yourself and get a result back in ten minutes -- and my understanding is that this is well within the realm of possibility -- that would be huge.  With such a test and the continuation of distancing and mask-wearing, I think we could get that infamous R-value under 1, meaning the disease would peter out.  A vaccine or other treatment would accelerate the decline, and of course we should continue development along these lines, but I think it's foolhardy to pin all our hopes on this.

Mostly right, I would say.  Vaccine development and distribution has gone a little better than I thought it would.  (Keep in mind, when I wrote this there was a chance Trump would win reelection.)  But I think I hit the nail on the head with rapid testing.  Imagine if we had such a thing right now.  We could drastically reduce the spread (particularly of the mutated strands, which, to me, is the most concerning aspect of the disease right now) and then the vaccines would be the nail in the coffin.  And society could be almost completely open -- safely -- right now.  If you want to go out for the night, just take a test.  If you pass it, go; if you don't, stay home until you get better.  Easy-peasy.

Anyway...

In other news, my neck is a bit stiff right now.  I slept in our guest room last night and I hate the bed we have there.  Usually, Lil' S2 falls asleep in our bed with S (they have the same bed time, I say with a smirk, but it's not a joke -- they literally both go to sleep at 8:45), and then I move him to his bed when I'm ready to go to sleep.  Since he was sick last night, however, I just let him stay.  Our guest room bed is too soft and doesn't give me adequate head and neck support.  I love the bed in our bedroom and it's spoiled me.  Also, I'm gradually growing into the role of crabby old man, so that's part of it as well.

When S first bought our bed I didn't like it, because I thought the mattress was too firm, and I didn't think we needed a king-size bed.  Now that we've had it for a few years, I have no idea what younger me was thinking.  Here is a list of some things like that.

  • King-size bed: As a younger man, I could sleep on almost any padded surface of any size and be comfortable.  I've had prolonged stretches of my adult life in which I've slept on: a twin bed, a futon, a futon mattress, a camping pad, a sofa, and an air mattress.  I was never uncomfortable or wishing I had something different.  Now, if I don't have a king-size bed with the exact right number on the Mohs scale, it's a letdown.

  • Soda stream: S brought home a soda stream shortly after we bought our first house, nine years ago, and I promptly proclaimed, "Well, here's something that will be sitting in storage in a few weeks."  We have used it, on average, more than once a day since then.  My usage has slowed down a bit since the beginning of quarantine, but that's only because I've started drinking more Lacroix.  There's just something satisfying about have a can of something and I've cut soda out of my diet completely (and beer almost, honestly).

  • Wireless earbuds: S bought me a pair (are you sensing a theme?) a few years ago, and now when I have to use corded ones it feels so awkward.

  • Gas fireplace: I discussed this in a recent entry, but there is really nothing better than reading in front of a fire on a dreary winter evening.

  • Gas grill: Similarly, during the summertime, it's tough to beat grilling up some turkey burgers and chicken sausages.  This is one of the few times I will crack open a cold one.  We got our grill on a whim six or seven years ago while my parents were visiting (I remember, we left my dad home alone for a few hours and he assembled the entire thing himself), and it's been a weekend staple when the weather is nice ever since.  

Okay, I told the kids I would watch a little bit of Mulan with them, and I can tell by the dramatic music it's getting close to the end, so that's all for now.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment