Sunday, February 20, 2022

Entry 599: Disney Bound

Short entry today as I have to prepare for our trip to Florida -- we leave tomorrow morning. We are going to visit S's parents and also taking the kids to Disneyworld for a day. I'm not not excited for it, but I'm not excited for it either. It's going to be a long day with the drive there and back (about two hours each way), and I'm already exhausted just thinking about keeping up with the kids while we're there. It doesn't help that I utterly lost my appetite for amusement park rides somewhere along the way from adolescence to middle-age-dom. They are more likely to make me nauseous than to thrill me now. But, whatever, I'm sure I'll enjoy it once we get there, and even if I don't, the kids certainly will. Plus, it's just one day. We decided not to buy multi-day passes or stay overnight in a hotel or anything like that. It makes the costs much more palatable -- you can measure them in the hundreds instead of the thousands.

In other news, we watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife as a family last night. It was pretty good. It would have been better if they didn't feel the need to go overboard on the nostalgia. I mean, they shoehorned Sigourney Weaver in by adding a short scene, with no connection to the story, after the closing credits. It's like, does everything have to be a nod to Gen-X pop culture these days? The new Star Wars movies (and TV shows) are the ultimate offenders (I mean, The Force Awakens is almost a plot-point-for-plot-point remake of A New Hope), but it goes beyond that -- Stranger Things, The Last Dance, Cobra Kai, and reboots of just about everything I watched as youngster (The Wonder Years, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Sex and the City, etc.). Even the Superbowl halftime show was old Dre and portly 50 Cent pretending like it's 20 years ago.

But everybody seems to like it -- heck, I like a lot of it -- so maybe it's just giving the people want they want. It's all good. I just didn't need to see a 71-year-old Bill Murray strap on a proton pack and sling stale one-liners at Gozer the Gozerian to make the new Ghostbusters a worthwhile viewing experience, is what I'm saying.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment