Saturday, March 19, 2022

Entry 603: A Six Pack of Quick Hitters

I'm low on time and blogging energy this weekend, so I'm just going to do a few quick hitters and call it a post.

-Our Tesla came in, so we've been driving it. It's pretty fuckin' sweet. Aside from it being electric (the biggest draw), it's just fun to drive. I've never really owned a "nice" car before, and I gotta say, you get spoiled by it really quickly. Now when I get into our other car, I'm like What, I gotta put a key in and adjust the seats on my own? And how am I supposed to back out without cameras? You mean I gotta turn my head?

-There are downsides, of course -- the payments, most notably, but also the stress of trying to keep it in pristine condition. If you drive and park in the city a lot, which we do, your car is going to get dinged up a little bit. I used to watch cars parallel park from my apartment window, and drivers act like they're playing bumper cars if they don't think anybody is looking. Plus, we've got two kids, so the inside is going to get trashed pretty much no matter what we do.

-As an example of stressing about the car, we are going to a Holi celebration tomorrow, at which we will get caked in a bright-colored corn starch substance. Our other car just started making a weird grinding noise (speaking of stress), so we don't want to drive it until we can get it looked at. I'm already nervous about getting this color stuff all over our Tesla. S and I are diligently planning it all out -- We'll bring a change of clothes and towels and lay down blankets in the backseat... But you know that's not going to totally work. It's like going to the beach and expecting not to track sand everywhere.

-I hate being a guy who stresses over material things, but sometimes I can't help it. I had another ordeal with that damn treadmill. A few weeks ago it just stopped working. So, I had to spend another umpteen hours on hold to do a virtual diagnostic session. Then I had to wait a week for some replacements parts to come. Then I had to make a bunch of phone calls and spend more time on hold to get a technician to come out. It got fixed and everything is under warranty, but it was such a hassle, and I'm nervous it's going to crap out again. I would be more pissed about it all, but it might have been my fault. I didn't read the manual carefully, so I didn't know I was supposed to use a surge protect. I plugged it directly into the wall, which apparently is a no-no.

-My anxiety levels were especially high at the beginning of the week, but they've come down a bit since then. I don't really know what causes the ebbs and flows. Sometimes I do -- there will be a big life event that will really get the butterflies going -- but most of the time it's just kinda normal events. I mean, there's never a time in your life in which you have all your problems solved and can totally relax. It's one shitty thing after another until you grow old and expire. Life's a bitch and then you die. This sounds dour but I actually find it comforting, because it makes me think -- you might as well just enjoy life now because there's no better time. Go ahead and grab (and give) joy whenever you can do so; don't wait for the perfect moment because there's no such thing.

-To that end, I've been watching a lot of basketball -- March Madness mainly, but also this new HBO show called Winning Time about the 1980s LA Lakers. It's so good. John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss is fantastic, and this guy Quincy Isaish they got to play Magic Johnson is excellent too -- totally believable. They've only released two episodes so far, but I'm eagerly awaiting the rest. Apparently Adrian Brody joins the fray later as Pat Reilly, which sounds like another bang-up casting job. It's even got a bit part for my girl Molly Gordon of Booksmart and Good Boys fame.

Well, it's late; that's all. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment