Saturday, December 10, 2022

Entry 641: No-Kids Party

S and I went to a no-kids party last night, which is a rarity these days. Actually, I guess we just went to one for Halloween, but it was different because that was a party thrown by people who don't have kids. This was a party with our parent friends, whom we only know because our kids are friends, but it was without kids. And we haven't been to party like that since... ever?

It was pretty fun -- nothing too wild just hanging out and chatting but with great company. We stayed for about three hours, and I had three (maybe four) beers, which is the closest I come to tying one on these days. And I paid the price: I felt like a zombie all day today. That's how much my alcohol tolerance has diminished in middle age -- done in by a few Pacificos. Although, to be fair, my grogginess was as much due to lack of sleep as to beer consumption. I woke up this morning about 7:45 am with Lil' S2 jumping on me demanding I make him breakfast. Sometimes S handles the kids and lets me sleep in on the weekends but she was at Orange Theory this morning. That's one of the things about her travel schedule -- she's always like "it's just n days," but n is just the number of days between her flights. It doesn't take into account that her sleep schedule with be messed up for a few days after that,* so she will be going to sleep at like 7:30 pm before the kids even have on their PJs. Also, she'll want to get back into a good gym routine, so even on the weekends it'll often be on me to get up and make the kids breakfast. She got back from a huge trip a few weeks ago, and it seems like I'm still feeling with the reverberations.

*And this is getting progressively worse. She used to bounce back immediately and barely suffer from jet lag at all. Now, each time she takes a trip, you can add a half a day to her recovery time. Getting old is a bitch, man. Father time is undefeated, as the cliche goes.

But it's okay. I never complain (except on this blog, which she doesn't read) because she has to do it for work, and she has a good job, and that benefits our entire family, including me, so it just comes with the territory. You gotta take the bad with the good. Those are the facts of life. Plus, today it's entirely on me for not getting enough sleep. We were home by 11:00 pm, but I stayed up until after 1:00 am watching White Lotus. I've heard so much about season two, I figured I had to get rolling on season one and catch up. It's so good so far (four episodes in). I was pretty sure I would like it. People whose opinions I trust rave about it, and I'm a fan of Mike White. He does a lot of character driven stuff, which is typically what I prefer in a movie or "prestige" TV series. A bunch of weird, fucked up, rich people get together at a resort with an abundance of sex, drugs, and booze -- sign me up! Plus, the show has those little superfluous nuggets of mundanity that I find absolutely hysterical. (The Sopranos was perhaps the king of this type of thing: "I like the one that says 'Some Pulp'".) Like, on White Lotus there's a part when a guy says he's with BLM, and he means Bureau of Land Management, but Jennifer Coolidge's character thinks he's talking about Black Lives Matter. There's no real joke there, but it made me laughed out loud -- literally. I've done it a few times even though I watch it alone.

S and I also started watching Andor together, which is supposedly also fantastic. It hasn't reeled me in yet (S neither, I think), but I'm not giving up on it. Everything I've heard of it from critics is like It's the best of the Star Wars spinoffs by far! And I'm thinking to myself When does that happen? Like I said, though, we're only two episodes in -- you gotta give things a shot.

Alright, I'm still dragging, and I just heard a car door shut. A few of S's friends are in town and staying with us and they all went out to dinner, and I think they're back. I gotta socialize for an appropriate amount of time until I can abscond to a quite place and watch more White Lotus. This is when it's good to have a wife who goes to bed early. It's very unlikely they will be up and hanging out super late.

Until next time...

PS--Somebody messaged me this. Speaking of laughing out loud... https://mobile.twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1600150740235800576

No comments:

Post a Comment