Saturday, January 28, 2023

Entry 648: Honey, I Blew Up The Baby

Was single-dadding this week. It's over now, but I start anew in another week. (S has a lot of work trips on the docket over the next few months.) This iteration went pretty well. Only one mistake -- I missed an online therapy session for Lil' S1.* I'm still annoyed by it because I checked the calendar around 2:00 pm (it starts at 5:00 pm), and said to myself, "Set an alarm so you don't forget." And then I said, "Nah, I'll remember," which is the dumbest thing I do on a regular basis. My success rate is like 10% when I tell myself "I'll remember" to do something, and yet I still tell myself this frequently.

*We recently stopped sessions for Lil' S2 and started them for Lil' S1. Apparently we always need to have one kid in therapy. I don't think he really needs it. But S wants him to do it, and he seems to actually enjoy it, and he participates willingly and immediately (unlike his brother who would take 20 minutes of a half-hour session just to warm up). So, whatever, it can't hurt.

I probably would have actually remembered this time, but I got caught up in something somewhat time-sensitive at work. Usually what I do is not time-sensitive at all, so when I get a task that even kinda is, I feel compelled to get it done ASAP. Like, I probably could've finished this particular bit of work the next morning and nobody would have cared, but I really wanted to do it before the end of the business day. And I did (that's how you get those raises!), but when I finished, I immediately left to pick up Lil' S2 from school, and when I returned it was 5:25 pm, and that's when I remembered Lil' S1's session, but it was too late.

I was kind of annoyed at Lil' S1, to be honest. He was just sitting on the sofa reading the entire time. He could've given me a head's up. But he's not at that stage yet, where he can manage his schedule in that way. He should be, but he's not. I've been trying to get him to be better about it, but he's a very reluctant learner when it comes to certain things. There are still many mornings, in which we will need to leave for school in five minutes, and he hasn't even gotten dressed yet.

Lil' S2, despite being three years younger, is actually more advanced in this area. He gets up and gets dressed immediately and is almost always ready to go on time without being nagged. He usually watches the clock carefully. It's his analytically mind. He's got a lot of his pops in him, I can tell. He has a chance to be really good at math if he wants to be. And memorizing spelling words is almost effortless for him. He gets 100% almost every test, and he only looks at the word list once or twice before taking it. Contrast that with his brother who would have to spend literally hours every week to have a fighting chance. It's so weird -- same genetics, same upbringing, totally different strengths and weaknesses. Although maybe it's just as simple as Lil' S1 takes after S and Lil' S2 takes after me.

In other news, since S was gone, I decided to get Madden for the PS5 a few days ago. It's been fun to play it, but it's been even more fun to watch the boys play it. They were on the same team, and despite never showing any interest in football whatsoever, nor even knowing the rules, Lil' S1 picked it up super fast. (Lil' S2 not so much, but he's not terrible.) He was the quarterback,* and he was totally running the offense and dominating the computer. He was picking the right plays and correctly reading the defense pre-snap. He doesn't know any of the players, so he would just call them by their corresponding shape on the controller: "I'm gonna throw it to box; they aren't really covering him." Lil' S2 was the running back and his brother gave him the ball enough to keep him interested, but whenever they needed a big play he would throw it to a computer player. I totally got a kick out of it. This is my gateway drug to getting them to be real-life football fans.

*Dak Prescott -- for some reason, Lil' S2 loves the Cowboys and picked the team. Actually, I know why he likes them. It's because his friend up the street likes them because his dad is a fan. I would prefer he like the Seahawks, of course, but he's got a bit of contrarian in him, so I don't want to push it. The funny thing is that both he and his friend live in DC and don't even entertain the possibility of being Commandeers fans. I cannot explain to you how much the local fan base for the Washington football team has eroded since I first moved out here nearly 20 years ago. Daniel Snyder must be on the short list for worst franchise owner in sports history -- and there have been some bad owners.   

Since S came back, we had family movie night and watched Honey, I Shrunk the Kids tonight. It's not bad, and more importantly it's not very long. It was about as good as I remember it. It has a sequel called Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, which I've never seen but remember. Only I recall it being called Honey, I Blew Up the Baby. After some initial googling, I thought I was going crazy, or having one of those "Berenstein Bears" false memories, but then I found this on IMDB:

Was originally going to be titled "Honey, I Blew Up the Baby", but was changed due to fear of negative feedback for the title.

So, maybe I saw a trailer or something before the name change. I'm not sure why "Baby" is any more (or less) negative than "Kid," but whatever.

A few other HISTK fun facts:

  • One of the kids in it is the best friend from Big. I don't remember knowing that back when I originally saw it, but I pegged him instantly tonight.

  • The neighbor guy in the movie is played by Matt Frewer, who also played the titular character on the old MTV show Max Headroom. S said that he reminded her of Jim Carrey, which I came to find is not an uncommon sentiment. You can see, for instance, this Reddit thread, which was among several webpages I found discussing Frewer's similarity to (and possible influence on) Carrey.

  • Apparently there is going to be another movie in the franchise coming out soon called Shrunk. Rick Moranis is going to come out of a two-decade retirement to reprise his role of Wayne Szalinski in the film. Why this movie would prompt him out of such a hiatus, I have no idea. Maybe retirement has been a bit more costly than he expected.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment