Saturday, July 29, 2023

Entry 673: Power Outage And More Hollywood Connections

Power went out here a few hours ago. We got hit by a ferocious thunderstorm. It didn’t last long, maybe 25 minutes, but it did some damage. It wiped out power in our neighborhood, and the estimated time of restorage is “pending assessment” according to the Pepco app. At least we just got our trees serviced – very little debris in our yard and on our neighbors’ roof.

Our house is an okay place to be when the power goes down. We never actually have anything ready that should be ready – I grabbed our camping lanterns, whose sole purpose is to be used during a power outage (it’s not like we ever actually go camping), and the batteries were dead because I haven’t charged them in literal years – but the kids have these lights you can wear on your head (I have no idea under what circumstances they got them), and like most modern families, we have a zillion devices with lights on them, and we have a few battery-powered device chargers. But still, being that you don’t know how long the outage will go, you don’t want to do things that will needlessly use energy. I mostly put my phone away. I’m fine draining my laptop battery, because blogging is pretty much the only thing I use it for, anyway.

Another good thing is that our basement never gets hot, so even when it’s nearing triple digits, like it is today, we have a place to go. We could all sleep downstairs and be fine. It’s actually crazy how cold our basement is even in the absolute scalding-est dog days of summer. S usually works down there, and she will be bundled up on like a 95-degree day. Sometimes she will even run a little space heater. This annoys me immensely. I hate inefficiency, and running a space heater to heat your house when the sun is blazing outside, seems like the epitome of inefficiency. But usually I bite my tongue, because, y’know, pick your battles and that. Actually, I just thought of something: There’s a little window in there, and I wonder if she opened it if it would let in enough hot air to make it more comfortable. Have to give that a whirl next time.

Oh, hey, power just came back on – nice. The only downside is that I had another 1,000 words on power outages prepared, so I’ll have to switch gears.

Let’s do some Hollywood connections – actors I see on something that I recognize from something else but don’t immediately know what it is. Like when you’re watching a show and a woman comes on-screen and you think I know that chick, and then it eats away at you* until you figure out who it is. Whenever that happens to me, I specifically don’t look them up on my phone. I hold out until it comes to me naturally. It’s agonizing, but the a-ha moment is so worth it.

*Or it doesn’t. Some people like S are completely immune to this type of mental torment. She just doesn’t care if she doesn’t remember. I’m actually bothered by how little she’s bothered.

7. Brandon Potter: Family Camp, The Inside Man

We watched the first part of a really bad movie called Family Camp some months ago. It's from some Christian comedy troupe, so nobody you've actually heard of is in it (not even Kirk Cameron), but one of the actors is also in the campy security training videos we watch at work called The Inside Man.

6. Jeremy Shamos: Better Call Saul, Succession

I think he is in the first season of Better Call Saul, he was a public official embezzling money or something like that, and then he comes back in a later season. In Succession, he's in the family that owns the big liberal media company that the Roys want to purchase.

5. Harriet Walter: Succession, Ted Lasso

Speaking of Succession... I was not the only person to make this connection.   

4. Janina Gavankar: The League, Never Have I Ever

This is one of my finest pulls ever. On Never Have I Ever, the main character, Devi, becomes obsessed with the Princeton admissions officer, and I knew I knew her from somewhere. Then, like a dream, it came to me. She's Shiva of "The Shiva" from The League. If you don't remember The League, it is a very juvenile, pretty funny show about fantasy football. It ran about 15 years ago, and I don't think it would survive today. One of the jokes on the show is that their trophy is named after a nerdy girl from high school Shivakamini Somakandarkram. One of the guys in the league lost his virginity to her, and they all razz him for it. But... are you ready for a twist? Adult Shiva makes an appearance on the show, and... she's now smokin' hot! Can you believe that?


 

3. Benny Safdie: Licorice Pizza, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

I think this guy is actually pretty famous, and maybe doesn't belong on a list like this, but it took me almost all of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret to place him.

2. Boyd Holbrook: Vengeance, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

After seeing Indiana Jones, I was telling my friend I recognized the evil spy from something, and he kept replying that it was Narcos, despite the fact that I assured him I'd never seen even a single episode of Narcos before. On the drive home, I remembered it was from that interesting, but not really that good B.J. Novak movie.

1. Ebon Moss-Bachrach: Girls, The Bear

We started watching The Bear recently, and it took me a while to place the actor who plays the hyper-testosterone-y "cousin" on it, because his character on Girls was so different -- the pretentious, loathsome artiste. That's the sign of a good actor. As a bonus, I immediately pegged Sugar's husband as the guy from the Progressive commercials, apparently his name is Chris Witaske.

Alright, that's all for today. Until next time...    

No comments:

Post a Comment