Saturday, August 21, 2010

Entry 10: Pics!

S left last night for a few weeks to do some work in Africa. I’m going to miss her tons, but I’m glad she went. She’s been trying to get her foot in the door with short term work assignments, so this is good for her.

Also, her absence means I can implement without protest some of the ideas I’ve had for the apartment, e.g., my trash in the fridge policy. We live in a cozy (read small) apartment. Due to space constraints, our trash can is basically in our living room (there isn’t a definitive line between our kitchen and our living room). We also don’t have a garbage disposal, so getting rid of imminent stink-ables – egg shells, vegetable stalks, fruit rinds, etc. – is a bit of an issue. We don’t want these things sitting in the trash right by our sofa for too long, but we (or at least I) also don’t want to take out the trash every time I eat a banana. So, my solution is to have a trash bag in the fridge just for items like those mentioned above. It would be small, you could tuck it in the back completely unnoticeable, and you could chuck it every few days. No smell, all's swell. It’s really a great idea, but I couldn’t sell it to S. She’s too unnerved by the thought of having trash in the refrigerator. I get that it’s kinda weird, but c’mon, it’s a great outside-the-box (or should I say inside-the-box?) solution. Anyway…

Another thing about her being gone is that I was motivated to get out and explore, not that I can’t explore with her, but sometimes it’s easier to roll solo. I’ll end this entry with some photos from my neighborhood and adjacent environs.


Bar Beach. This is a ten minute walk from my apartment. Admit it, you're kinda jealous. Also, notice how empty it is. Are the locals bored with it?




Bar Beachgoers.




Bar Beach from a different angle.




Some presumably sad surfers. I didn't see many big waves.




Some old folks lawn bowling. Notice the sign doesn't include the word "lawn". Is this the default bowling here?




A chubby girl partaking in some sort of basketballesque game where there is no net nor backboard and players wear skirts.




The Hunter River. Ten minutes (in the opposite direction as Bar Beach) from my apartment. I think the massive structure is a coal terminal.




The Hunter River in the other direction. I think the structure on the point is Knobbys Lighthouse. One of these days I'm going to run along this river and see how close I can get to it. It looks like you might be able to get all the way there.




Darby Street. A scene from my doorstep. I'd eat at these cafes all the time if they weren't so damn expensive!

8 comments:

  1. Garbage in the fridge? EWW. But Y says that our friend does almost the same thing, except she puts the garbage in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures ... Yes, I am jealous, or maybe "envious" is a better word, of you being so near the ocean. Bar Beach looks very nice -- and surprisingly "solitudinal" given that it is located in a medium sized city, although it IS late winter time there ... Maybe it's more crowded in summer time.

    BTW, if the weather stats in the Wikipedia article about Newcastle are to be believed, it has never gotten down to freezing there. The all-time record low temp. was around 35F (2C). But the all-time high was nearly 108F (42C). And the city gets almost 45 inches (44.86") of rainfall a year -- which is actually 5 inches higher than Washington, D.C.

    I didn't think any place in Australia except the far tropical north was actually that wet.

    I also didn't realize what a coal region was the region around Newcastle.

    As for the Nobbys Head Lighthouse, I found this site about it. Based on some of the pictures on that Web site, I don't think you can walk to it entirely along the beach. More typically, when you see prominent points far away on a coastline, it's almost always the case that they are not pedestrian-friendly readily accessible.

    Lastly, as for your garbage situation, don't you have a cabinet under the kitchen sink where you can put a trash bin? Just make sure you wrap it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knobbys Head Lighthouse, it is. I left out the "Head" in my caption. Well, I'll find out how close you can get soon.

    As for my trash dilemma, we actually can't fit a bin under our sink, because there is shelving there (weird, I know).

    Joe's friend might be on to something though with the freezer. Less used than the fridge (in my case at least) and better a preserving things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's "Nobbys" rather than "Knobbys", at least according to that Web site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you're right. Silly name either way, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealous of the beach, not the great white sharks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi- heard you were down under. Crazy.

    I'm voting for a countertop composter. They don't stink and you can do your part by not adding to landfills and donate to a local flower box outside your apartment. (Sorry it's the crazy hippie in me that requires me to suggest composting as a solution to most problems).
    -sb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually SB, your countertop composter is a decent idea. I'm going to look into it. We have balcony where it could go.

    ReplyDelete