Thursday, August 5, 2010

Entry 6: Moving and Driving


[Our new living room.]
We moved. It’s nice to have that settled. It turned out to be a bit of an ordeal, the actual moving part that is, but it’s done. We borrowed my “boss’s” car for the move. It was very nice of her. It would have taken us all day to move via public transportation. It was also very brave of her, being that neither S nor I have an Australian driver’s license (or should I say, licence), nor have we ever driven on the left side of the street, nor have we ever operated a car with the steering wheel on the right side.

To make things a bit more interesting, it was raining. Hard. Like monsoon season hard – torrential downpour. Visibility was awful and we were often working from a map. Plus, I had a fear of driving through a massive puddle (of which there were many) and having the engine seize. I would have felt uncomfortable driving in that weather in any country, but S didn’t want to drive, so I did all of it. (Given the conditions, there is no way my male ego would have let me cede the driver’s seat to her, anyway.) I drove, she navigated. It went okay. Not perfect – for example, I kept turning on and off the blinker instead of the windshield wipers and vice-versa (they are on the opposite side as I am used to) and parallel parking was a bitch – but all things considered, I’m happy with our performance.

The weather broke for a few hours (meaning it was just raining very hard instead of ridiculously hard) after we finished moving, so we decided to take the opportunity to make a trip to the mall. We had to buy some linens and things. Actually, I just ate lunch at the mall. S did the shopping and took the bus back. Conveniently, I had to get to work – no time for me to shop.

Speaking of work, it’s going pretty well. I’m working on two projects, which is good because when I get stuck on one (which is inevitable in the math biz) I can work on the other and not feel like I’m completely wasting time. Things have gotten to the point where I can work on my own and still accomplish things. For now, at least, because I’m just trying to formulate the problem I’ll be working on, which I can basically do with just pen and paper. Once I start trying to solve the problem and I have to learn all the software platforms and integrate new code with what’s already been developed, that’s going to be a whole other story. But, I’ll deal with that later. Just like Sick Boy from Trainspotting said, “tomorrow will take care aw itself.”*


*I’m about 20 pages from finishing Irvine Welsh’s collection of short stories, Reheated Cabbage, so I have his characters fresh in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment