Saturday, March 12, 2011

Entry 55: Olio

I went to brunch in Stockton last weekend with some folks. Stockton is an island across the Hunter River from Newcastle. There are bridges into it, but we took the ferry. There is nothing particularly interesting about Stockton, but it was somewhere new to go, so I went. At brunch, I ordered pancakes and didn’t particularly enjoy them. They were too cakey and sweet, and they didn’t serve the syrup on the side, so I couldn’t ration it out properly. The side of bacon was the only saving grace of the meal.

Anyway, a few pics.

[The ferry to Stockton from Newcastle.]

[An aerial shot of Stockton I pulled off the Internet.]

[A big ship photographed from Stockton.]

[NBA legend John Stockton. The best white American basketball player of the past 20 years, and the last guy to rock the nuthugger shorts.]

***************************

I haven’t been sleeping enough lately. Midnight is really the cut off for me and for a variety of reasons (most of which involve me and crossword puzzles), I haven’t been hitting that mark recently. S is away at the moment, which throws me off a little bit, but it’s mostly just that I don’t like going to bed at night. I once heard somebody say, when you go to bed, the night wins. That’s how it feels to me.

As a result of going to bed late, I’ve been tired at work which hurts my production. On Wednesday, I felt hung over all day, and I didn’t have a single sip of alcohol the night before. From a productivity standpoint, I would probably be better off sleeping in when I’m that tired and going in to work late, but I’m worried that that’s a slippery slope. I want to maintain normal working hours. I don’t want to slide back into the 12pm – 4am hours I carried for much of grad school.

*****************************

I started a new thing: not showering. OK, that’s not completely accurate. I just shower less, and when I do it’s a quick rinse-soap-rinse. I only shampoo about twice a week now. It’s going good so far. I don’t feel nor appear any less clean, and I don’t waste a bunch of time scrubbing myself with all sorts of exfoliants and cleansers just because “society” says I have to.

***************************

I’ve been following this Scott Walker/Wisconsin story a little bit. I’m disappointed in the outcome. In general, I have mixed feelings about unions, but agree whole-heartedly with the following commentary by Paul Krugman.

“Given this reality, it’s important to have institutions that can act as counterweights to the power of big money. And unions are among the most important of these institutions.

You don’t have to love unions, you don’t have to believe that their policy positions are always right, to recognize that they’re among the few influential players in our political system representing the interests of middle- and working-class Americans, as opposed to the wealthy. Indeed, if America has become more oligarchic and less democratic over the last 30 years — which it has — that’s to an important extent due to the decline of private-sector unions.”

This move is an obvious power grab for Walker and his big-money financiers (the Koch Brothers). It only ostensibly has to do with balancing the state budget. This is made glaringly obvious by the fact that the unions were willing to make big concessions, but Walker refused to negotiate with them. It’s amazing to me that everybody doesn’t see right through Walker’s bullshit.

I read a piece about how some democrats are calling this "a gift", saying essentially that Walker won the battle at the expense of the war, because this new law will be such a big rallying point. It sounds like a lot of spin to me, but this article by respected analyst Nate Silver indicates that there could be some truth to it.

**********************************

I mentioned Paul Krugman above. I used to listen to him when he would appear on the old “The O’Franken Factor” (what a great radio program that was), but only recently have I started reading his column (and blog) regularly. I highly recommend him. He’s the mainstream columnist whose political views are the closest to my own (great minds think alike). He’s left-leaning, but doesn’t give dems a pass on anything, and he doesn’t automatically vilify republicans and big business. He’s just a good thinker and a solid columnist. Actually, we could use people like him in office, but I think people like him are turned off by the idea of holding office, which is part of the reason we have such shit leaders.

************************************

Speaking of great minds I caught an “error” in a rerun of the TV show “The Big Bang Theory”. In the episode, Sheldon has to teach a class. Afterward, Howard asks Sheldon, “So, how did your lecture go?” To which Sheldon responds, “In a word, triumphant.” Would somebody as smart and pedantic as Dr. Sheldon Cooper really use the adjective “triumphant” when the adverb “triumphantly” is appropriate? That’s what we should all be asking ourselves right now.

***********************************

I had to change a password today as part of a regular security update. I hate doing this. Somebody needs to invent some way that people can have online security without having to remember a bunch of passwords, because it’s a serious hassle. Also, why can’t we just come to a password consensus about the characters that can / have to be in a password (some can’t have numbers, some must have numbers, some must have a capital letter, some aren’t case sensitive, some require a non-alpha, non-numeric character, etc.). I don’t think any characters should have to be in a password. Doesn’t this shrink the password search space, thus making things less secure? If you have a 4-10 character password and any one of those characters can be a number, then that will give you more possibilities than if one of those characters must be a number. Therefore, it seems to me, the former is more secure than the latter. So why do so many sites require the latter in the name of security?

**********************************

Mike Tyson has to be one of the funniest dudes of all time. Sadly, most of the time he doesn't know he's being funny (or he's the greatest Andy Kaufman-esque comedian ever). Watch this clip of him on Ellen. The funny part starts at 1:45. He must mean The Michelin Man?

5 comments:

  1. OK, let me try to post this comment again. My other comment got eaten up in trying to log on ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here is the comment ...

    First, I found this entry a bit disjointed: First you wrote about a vaguely dissatisfying trip to a New Zealand place called Stockton and then posted a random picture of a giant American basketball player dressed in 1970s-style shorts.

    Secondly, FWIW, I don't think I like the idea of you not bathing regularly.

    Thirdly, as you may know, I'm a big fan of Paul Krugman. He is absolutely brilliant, wonderfully progressive, and so informative to read, even if it is commentary in such a shitty political, economic, and financial time as this.

    Fourth, I didn't realize Mike Tyson had changed so much. I guess in my mind, he is always frozen in time as he was circa 1988. Quite a dramatic change.

    Fifth, what are your thoughts on the Japan earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disasters? In particular, what's your view on nuclear power?

    The news coverage and analysis in the U.S. has been quite good ... as Salon put it, cable news has been committing "random acts of journalism" and the MSNBC news show line up (Hardball, Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, etc.) have been quite informative.

    The GOP / Teabaggers look extra stupid because they have nothing of any value to say. In fact, you actually had Speaker John Boehner and a few GOP Senators speak favorably of France's nuclear power industry (FRANCE!). The next big do-or-die date for funding the U.S. Government is on or about April 8th hen the artificial contrivance of the debt ceiling is reached.

    Lastly, what's the status of your stay in Australia and visa extension? I'd still like to visit but realistically I can't buy a plane ticket until May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez Reg, your comment is nearly as long as my entry.

    I still haven't heard back from anybody on pending visa status. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I won't post any more comments ... starting now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, c'mon, don't get all pouty. I was just saying that because it's hard for me to carry out a conversation in blog comment fashion, so I can't address all your points. That's all.

    ReplyDelete