Monday, January 28, 2013

Entry 157: Three More Quick Takes

1.  S and I got into it a little bit this weekend -- typical couple stuff.*  Well, I mean, our particular arguments are very specific to us, but the general level of the quarrels is typical couple stuff.  We have the same few recurring arguments.  One of them stems from her compulsion to always puts too much on her plate.  Inevitably some of it then spills over onto my plate, and then I get annoyed because I like to keep my plate sparse, and then she gets annoyed because I'm annoyed, and I don't really want to help her because I never signed on for whatever it is she's doing in the first place, and then one of us says the wrong thing when the other is hungry or tired or otherwise in a irritable state, and the whole thing blows up.

Then the meta-fight starts, and the meta-fight is usually worse than the actual fight.  The meta-fight always entails S complaining that I'm talking down to her or using a rude tone and me complaining that she's being overly sensitive and pouting instead of actually trying to work things out.  Then we'll each go do something else, take a few minutes to cool off, and reconcile over Downton Abbey and trail mix.

Actually, it's been Breaking Bad lately.  S has never seen it, so I agreed to watch the entire series again from the beginning.  I love that show.  Although, I forgot that the first season and half is actually not great.  It's OK, but it's not great.  The story moves a little too slowly at first, and it's just not as engaging as it is in the later seasons (although you could argue that the groundwork laid early on is part of what makes the rest of the series so great).  S almost gave up on it, but I think she's solidly back in now.  The turning point of the series, in my opinion, is when Bob Odenkirk comes onto the scene as the shady lawyer Saul Goodman.  He's excellent -- a very underrated aspect of the show.



2.  I should go to the dentist sometime soon.  I haven't been in over a year.  It's just pure lethargy on my part.  It's not that I don't want to take the time to go to the dentist.  It's that I don't want to take the time to find a dentist.  I haven't had a regular dentist since high school.  For a brief period of time I was on S's insurance, so I went to her dentist, but I since switched to my work plan, and that practice is no longer in my network.  (Hardcore free-market types are always raving about the "choices" you get with private insurance, but a lot of the time having a "choice" means spending an hour on the phone trying to find somebody who's accepting new patients and who you're covered under.)  Plus, last time I went one of the dentists overlooked a crack in my tooth that was apparently pretty obvious, and another one introduced himself as "Dr. Steve".  Uh... you do realize I'm not seven, right?  I'm more than happy to call you "Dr. [Last Name]" or just "Steve" if you're not into the whole formality thing, but you gotta drop the whole "Dr. [First Name]" schtick when you're talking to another adult.  That's reserved for celebrity doctors and rappers.



3.  I've been playing a lot of classical music for Lil' S lately.  It's not because I think it will make him smart or anything like, it's because he likes music, and I can only handle "kids music" for about 30 seconds before I start going mad ("Head, shoulder, knees, and toes, knees, and toes... head, shoulder, knees, and toes, knees, and toes... eyes and ears and mouth and nose... head, shoulder, knees, and toes, knees, and toes!").  I think I pretty much have classical music figured out.  Mozart = happy, Beethoven = sad.  I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.

[A friend of S's got us a Mozart Magic Cube for Lil' S.  We've been rocking it like it's 1779.]


*S said that I could write about our fights on this blog as long as I acknowledge that she said that... so this is that acknowledgement.

1 comment:

  1. Your meta-argument sounds a lot like our meta-argument. And I can relate to having leftovers dumped on your clean plate. It sounds like we married similar women.

    ReplyDelete