Friday, September 13, 2013

Entry 199: Hack, Wheeze, Repeat

Another week of sickness here at the G & G household.  Lil' S started it all by catching something at daycare, and then we just passed it around.  I'm feeling much better today than I did earlier in the week, although, oddly, my symptoms are worse.  I've been hacking and wheezing all day.  I think everybody is on the mend now though, which is good.


A big part of the problem for me is that I can't sleep enough to recovery quickly.  With Lil' S's new schedule, I'm responsible for getting him in the morning everyday but Friday and Sunday.  So if he gets up at 5:30 a.m., I get up then too.  I know, I know, this is pretty standard parenting fare, but it's especially hard on me, because I have trouble waking up in the morning.  This sounds like bullshit -- "trouble waking up in the morning" -- but it's not.  It's science.  Different people have different preferred sleep schedules and mine involves staying up all night and sleeping all morning.  The schedule I've had to adopt to hold a job (and a wife) -- go to bed about 1 a.m., wake up about 8 a.m. -- is just about at the edge of what I can do.  Trying to shift it even earlier is going to be tough.  I tried to go to bed around 11 p.m. a few times this week, and it didn't take.  I just lied there unable to sleep (which is always worse than just staying up).




I've only had to wake up really early (pre-7:00 a.m.) over an extended period of time once in my life.  Summer 2000, I stocked merchandise at The Sports Authority and had to be there by 6:00 a.m.  When I first started the job, I figured I'd adjust and learn how to go to sleep earlier, but I never did.  I was tried the entire summer.  I'm worried that that's what's going to happen now, only it's going to be a lot longer than three months, and I'm not 22 anymore.  Well, at least I like coffee.

Anyway...

We took Lil' S to the park today, which was fun.  He's almost old enough to play and interact with other kids.  These two little girls, sisters, I think, kept coming up to him and patting his head and giving him kisses.  It was really cute.  We slid him down the slide, which he really enjoyed.  I think he's going to be a little scrapper when he gets a bit older.  He already loves the physical stuff.  Like when I bounce him on the bed, he can't get enough of it, and he wants to climb everything.  He likes anything that's a little bit thrilling or rough, and I'm not just saying this because I want it to be true.  S would back me up on it.  This bodes well for him liking sports.  I've also been indoctrinating him by playing him baseball videos every morning while he eats breakfast.  I can't tell if he likes them or not, but he doesn't cry while they're on, which is good enough for me.

So, I gotta get going (I have to go lie in bed sleeplessly), but before I do, I want to plug a few things.  First, my brother just finished his second novel.  If you like sci-fi / fantasy, you should definitely buy and read it.  If you don't then you should buy it anyway.  It's the second book of a series, so I also recommend the first one.

Also, I started another blog.  It's mainly about football, but I'm also putting up original crossword puzzles, and I'm doing reviews of The Ultimate Fighter.  I was going to review Project Runway also, just because, but I didn't have time to get into the latest season.  Anyway, I hope you check it out, but if you don't, it won't hurt my feelings.  I've decide that my lot in life is to write copious amounts of material that almost nobody will read.  Hey, it beats watching TV all night.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Lack of sleep is by far the worst part of being a new parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Lil' S is hit or miss. He always wakes up about 5:30, but sometimes we'll crash out together for another hour or two, and when that happens, I'm just normal tired, which is the best I can hope for. But when he decides he's "up" for the day then, it's b-ru-tal on me.

    ReplyDelete