Thursday, May 29, 2014

Entry 236: Traveling is the Ultimate "Just Bring the Kids..." Scenario


["Vicki, can I help you with that Kool-Aid ... please?"  Can you name the now big-time (or at least semi-big-time) actress from this classic Vacation scene?]

It's vacation time for the G & G family.  First to San Francisco for the weekend for my cousins wedding; then home to the southern shores of the Puget Sound.  I imagine I will have some time to relax on the latter leg of the journey.  I'm not anticipating much of a "vacation" in the Bay Area -- not with Lil' S in the picture.  Remember that HuffPo article I mentioned a few posts ago that said "'Just bring the kids' is an option. But it is one that sucks."?  Well, traveling is the ultimate example of this.  As everybody with small kids knows, it's just not fun.

I gotta go finish packing, so no long entry today -- and no entry next week either.  When you have to bring diapers and wipes and toys and books and snacks and so on in your carry-on, some things don't make the cut.  My computer is one of them. So I'll leave you with a few links to and be back in two weeks.

This link is to a really good article written by that Jeopardy! dude Arthur Chu.  His point about the nerd in Revenge of the Nerds being a rapist is something I thought about a long time ago.  It's always weird to see somebody with an actual audience say something that I thought first.  On the one hand, it's like, "Yes!  That's what I was thinking!"  On the other hand, it's like, "Hey!  That's my material!"

Keeping in line with the gun violence theme, there's this entry from a while back.  Those of us who are sane and rational have to constantly push back against the gun nuts for whom no number of massacres in ever enough to even consider the possibility that our gun-crazed culture and lax gun laws might be part -- even just a modicum -- of the problem.  As is often the case, The Onion nails it.

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment