Sunday, November 15, 2015

Entry 308: Everybody's Working on the Weekend

One of the best things about my job is that I'm not expected to work during non-work hours.  I typically turn my work computer off around 6:00 in the evening and do not turn it back on until about 9:30 the next morning.  I keep it off the entire weekend, and I don't have any work stuff on my personal computer -- when I'm off, I'm off.  This is, I believe, something of a rarity in the "tech" industry.  (I'd say my company is half tech, half consulting.)  I read the horror stories of people in Silicon Valley or at Amazon who essentially live in the office (why do you think those companies have gyms and daycares and cafes and other "amenities" in their buildings?) or are effectively "on call" at all hours of the day, and I think it sounds awful.

Not everybody agrees with me on this one.  I have friends who want to work -- or at least don't mind working -- longer hours because it puts them in good standing with their company (and leads to more $$$), or as my wife says when she works during her off-hours: "It actually makes things easier on me to do it now.  I mean, I have to get the work done one way or the other."  I try to point out that this is the mindset that management wants her have, that she's been brainwashed by The Man, that we are more than just cogs in our corporate overlords' moneymaking machines, and then I quote The Dead Kennedys to her, at which point, I realize that she is no longer in the room.


Anyway, I bring this up, of course, because I had to work this weekend.  On Friday I was put on a project that needs to be done by Monday -- Monday in Australia.  So basically I was up until 1:00 a.m. last night working on it.  And now I'm tired and have to do all the other things I was going to do yesterday today, so, yet again, I am short on blogging time.  This will be another brief entry.   The upside is that because I worked this weekend, I get the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off.  And also, next week I will have much more free time, as S is taking the kids to South Carolina tomorrow (I will join them the following).  I won't lie I'm looking forward to the break.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment