Saturday, August 4, 2018

Entry 430: On TV

For some reason TV seems to be a topic on a lot of the podcasts I've been listening to lately.  I'm really out of the loop on TV these days.  Although from what I understand, there is no loop anymore.  Streaming has ruined the loop.  There are so many shows -- so many good shows -- on so many platforms that everybody is watching something different at any give moment and there is no public conversation about a show the day after it airs like there used to be.  It's apparently one of the big laments of  hardcore TV fans.  I think there might be a push-back to binge watching on the horizon (if it hasn't started already), where streaming services drop episodes of their big shows periodically, instead of all at once, to build up the anticipation and make TV watching an event again.

For my part, I haven't given up on TV totally, but I'm pretty close.  It's a combination of two big factors: 1) I have little free time; 2) I'm daunted by TV now.  TV has gotten so much better over the past 20 years, and there is so much more of it, which in theory is a good, but in practice it probably makes me watch less of it, because I'm overwhelmed and when I actually do watch something, if it doesn't grab me immediately I think I'm wasting my time watching the "wrong" thing.  Because the bar is so high, I'm not willing to give anything a chance.  Also, the on-demand-ness of TV works against me too.  I like to watch with S because it's an easy way to spend time together at night when we are both tired (and it's actually a good way to bond: intimacy = shared experience), but she watches a lot of TV and since she can watch whenever she wants, she watches it all before we get a chance to watch together.

Anyway, one of the podcasts I listened to was a recap of the top 100 TV episodes of the 21st century, and it got me thinking what my list would look like.  So, I started to map it out in my brain, but what I found is that I can't really remember whole episodes, even of my very favorite shows, instead I remember moments of episodes.  So, I started to do my own list of "Top TV Moments," but in so doing I started looking up things on YouTube and I fell into a Simpsons rabbit hole.  So here's my new list...

Top 10 The Simpsons Jokes I Stumbled Across On YouTube

10.

He eats the pie anyway -- brilliant.

9.

"We went fishing."  Get's me every time.

8.

Perhaps the best movie clip parody ever.

7.

Do schoolchildren still watch 30-year-old videos on pointless topics?  Probably not.  They have the Internet now.

6.
"I don't know."

5.

THRILLHO: As somebody who named hundreds of fake players on Nintendo's Baseball Stars, I know the pain of limited character space all too well.

4.

This is probably the quintessential The Simpsons joke.  It starts off as a hackneyed sitcom gag and then finishes in a different direction.

3.

Üter at his finest.

2.

I still recite this one with my friend JY when I see him: "I sleep in a big bed with my wife."

1. 

I love this bit.  Hutz replying in the manner as written on his card is what takes from "solid joke" to "number one on the list."

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment