Sunday, August 26, 2018

Entry 433: Five Quick Thoughts

It's 9:19 at night, which means I have about 15 minutes until I will struggle severely to string together coherent sentences.  So, I'm giving you five quick thoughts and then I'm out.
  • In the past three weeks, I attended four kids' birthdays, two of which are my own.  They went fairly well.  Lil' S1's was especially nice.  We had it at a swim club at which our friends are members.  A pool is a good place for a six-year-old's birthday party.  It was not blazing hot (high 70s), so when the sun went behind a cloud it got a bit chilly in the water.  Kids just don't care though.  They'll be in the water shivering, teeth chattering, refusing to get out, "I'm not c-c-c-c-old."
  • Speaking of birthdays, mine is coming up in a few days.  I might have a little celebration with the family, but nothing beyond that.  I'm very birthdayed out.  Maybe I will do something big next year for my 42nd -- my "Jackie Robinson Birthday," or if you're more into sci-fi than baseball, my "The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything Birthday."
  • As you've surely heard, John McCain passed away recently.  Like most people who lean left, I have mixed feelings on him.  I never cared for his politics, and every time I heard him called a "maverick," I thought of the Mark Twain quote, "Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon."  I was thoroughly underwhelmed by his fecklessness in the face of Trumpism, but he did shoot down Obamacare repeal, and he gave some good speeches, and he was way better than any current Republican politician I can think of.... so, you know...
  • I started listening to a new podcast: the second season of In the Dark.  It's really good, but it could probably be cut down by about 20%.  That's basically my feeling on everything these days: good, but could have been shorter.
  • The Mariners are falling out of the playoff race, and it makes me sad.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment