Monday, December 31, 2018

Entry 449: New Year's Blogging

We are about an hour away from the clock striking midnight, turning 2018 into 2019, and I don't have much to do, so I figure I might as well write a blog entry.  I'm not that into New Year's as a holiday -- or at least I don't have to be.  If I had something to do, I'm sure I would enjoy it.  But I don't, so that's fine too.  I'm at my in-laws and everybody else is in bed sound asleep.  The only reason I'm not also fornicating with Mr. Sandman (that's the saying, right?) is because there have been fireworks going off intermittently all night, surely foreshadowing a midnight denouement, and I won't be able to fall asleep in anticipation of it.  Staying up until after it's over is the only realistic option.  Last night, S called me "the pickiest sleeper ever," and it's not far from the truth.  I don't have it as bad as people who have chronic insomnia or need medication to sleep, but I need to have everything just so, and there is no way I could possibly fall asleep knowing a bunch of little bombs will be going off in 45 minutes.

I'm actually pretty tired because S's family -- namely her cousin and her mom -- we up late last night having some sort of passionate discussion about property disputes in India.  (They were venting to each other about two separate disputes, not arguing with one another.)  They were speaking so loudly, especially her cousin, who was basically shouting, that I couldn't fall asleep.  That's when S made her "pickiest sleeper" comment, although as the night went on, and they only grew more animated, she conceded that it was really annoying.  I asked if she could tell them to keep it down a bit, but she felt weird doing that, and I didn't really push for it, because, you know, family dynamics and all.  It's just one of those things you put up with.  Instead I got out of bed and did crossword puzzles until they finished their cacophonous confab, which was after 1:00 am.  It's very out-of-character too as S's mom usually goes to bed around 9:00 pm.  But I think this property dispute has been stuck in her craw for a while, and so when she got the chance to go off on it to a sympathetic ear, she took it.  

It's also weird because S's family is so considerate in so many ways, it's strange that they wouldn't think, maybe we should keep our voices down a bit, since a bunch of people are trying to sleep.  I mean, S's mom has tried many times to give me her bed.  Just two nights ago Lil' S1 had an accident on the mat he and his brother were sleeping on, so they got into the bed S and I were using, and I slept on the couch.  The next morning S's mom told her to tell me that if that happens again, I should wake up her and S's dad and take their bed, and they will sleep on an inflatable air mattress in the attic.  As if I would ever do that; as if I would ever want to do that.  Be in my in-laws bed while they slept on an air mattress in the attic -- talk about not being able to sleep!  It's overly considerate to the point it makes it you feel uncomfortable.  It's like it's wraps so far around the consideration circle it becomes a negatively considerate.  But every family has their little eccentricities, and overall I like S's family a lot and enjoy spending time with them, so whatever -- it's a very small price of admission.

Wow, I just looked at the clock and it's one minute to midnight.  I only got three paragraphs done in almost an hour.  Man, I am a slow writer.  Well, Happy New Year.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment