Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Entry 483: Another Weekend Away

S and I are headed to a wedding in Ohio on Friday, sans kids, so it will be my second weekend away from the boys in three weeks.  This trip will be much shorter than my other one.  We drive up Friday afternoon, hit the wedding activities Friday evening and Saturday, and then drive back on Sunday.  It should be fun.  It's our good friend R, so we will be surrounded by familiar faces -- S is actually in the wedding.  We (meaning I) will just have to make sure to not drink too much Saturday night at the reception.  Unlike when taking a flight, we (meaning I) will actually have to operator a massive vehicle Sunday morning.

Actually, I've found I typically don't get very drunk at weddings.  I think it's the dancing that keeps me honest.  It gives me something else to do.  My whole thing is that I'm almost exclusively a social drinker.  I practically never drink in private, but if I'm out with friends at a bar, I will frequently get caught up in the merriment and then realize I've had three beers and the night is only half over.  At weddings, it's easy to avoid this trap.  You just dance -- Lady Gaga style.  Now, if there is an after party, that's a whole other story.  And everybody at this wedding will be middle-age or older.  You might think that this would work against excessive drinking (because, you know, old people are, like, such losers), but I suspect it will go the other way.  Everybody is going to go wild because they are away from their kids for a night.  The people you have to fear the most are the parents who don't get out much.  At the wedding shower a few weeks ago, S went out afterward for the bachelorette party, and in the wee hours of the morning, long after she had come home, she was getting drunken texts from the other ladies saying things like "where you at girl?"

[Although actually this entire song is about how she has to "just dance" *because* she's so fucked up.  Hmm... maybe the not the greatest example.]

In other news, it's been a good past few days for content consumption for me.  S and I started watching Fleabag, which is good, but not nearly as good as everybody else is saying (it won, like, a thousand Emmys and the critics love it).  I feel like I would enjoy it a lot more if I stumbled into it blind, instead of it coming so highly recommended.  Expectations are a bitch.

As far as heartfelt raunchy comedies with female leads go, Booksmart, which S and I also watched recently is far superior to Fleabag.  I mean, they aren't really comparable because one's a movie and the other is a show.  But judging purely by watching-joy, the former takes the cake easily.  In fact here's a bold claim: Booksmart is the best buddy comedy I've ever seen.  It's cut out of the Superbad mold, but it's just better.  And it transcends the goofy, lewd, teenage comedy genre.  It beats out other buddy comedies I enjoyed like SidewaysY Tu Mamá También, and Dumb and Dumber.  In fact, I'll take it a step further: It's probably one of my top-20 movies of all time.  I'm not ready to release an official update of my Top 100 list, but I'd tentatively put it somewhere around 17.  I thought it was that good.



Also, it's been an excellent past few days of sports watching.  On Sunday and Monday, I watched the Seahawks win (well, I saw the extended highlights package, at least), and I watched both my fantasy football teams seal victories in the night games to move me to 6-2 in one league and 8-0 (!) in the other.  Then last night I watched DC's own Washington Nationals force a seventh game of the World Series, and I watched the Sounders advance to the MLS finals for the third time in four years, a supremely stunning result given their opponent was the greatest regular season team in league history.  (Championship game is on Sunday.)  If the Nats win tonight, it will round out a truly glorious span of sporting consumption.  I'll have to catch most of it on the radio, as I have to pick up S's parents at Dulles.  They're coming in to watch the kids for the wedding, so it's a worthwhile trade-off.



In fact, I should probably eat and all that, so that I can get there on time.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment