Saturday, February 15, 2020

Entry 498: Tears of a Clown

Watched Joker last night.  It wasn't god-awful, but overall I give it a thumbs-down.  I read a critic describe it as "derivative," and I think that's right (even though calling something "derivative" has itself become a bit derivative).  I liked the first half of it -- Taxi Driver with a clown -- but it was a setup that had no real payoff.  The last half was really violent, but it felt sorta farcical to me.  Actually, it felt very comic book-y, which makes a lot of sense given that the story is based on a comic book character.  But, I can't think of a single comic book movie I've ever really liked (other than the Christopher Reeve Superman films, which I liked primarily because I was, like, eight when I saw them).  So, Joker just didn't do it for it me.  It had some good scenes, but on the whole: meh.  If I wanted to be really condescending about it -- which, I guess I do, since I'm writing this -- I would say it's a basic person's idea of a sophisticated film.

I also don't think Joaquin Phoenix was that amazing in it.  He was good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like dozens of actors could have done just as well.  I wasn't blown away.  I liked him better in Her and even in Two Lovers, just to name two of his movies that come to mind at the moment.  I never thought while watching him, Now this is an Oscar-winning performance.  I thought Leonard DiCaprio was much more deserving for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  And although I only saw half of Marriage Story, Adam Driver also would have been a better choice, in my opinion.  I think part of it is the role.  Acting crazy just doesn't impress me much; it seems like you can do almost anything, and it doesn't even have to make sense, because your character is crazy.

[One redeeming feature of Joker: Zazie Beetz.]

Honestly, I didn't even really want to watch Joker.  I badly wanted to see Parasite, but S said she didn't feel like reading subtitles.  It was technically her turn to choose,* and it was Valentine's Day, and I didn't want to start an argument, so instead of fighting for Parasite, I compromised on Joker.  I mean, even though I didn't love it, it's probably better than Frozen 2.  S thought it was okay, if you were wondering, but she said it was 15 minutes too long, which it was.  But, to be fair, pretty much everything is 15 minutes too long.

*We take turns, but if the person who picked the last movie picked one that we both really liked then they usually get to go again.  I was on a roll with Booksmart and The Big Sick, but then I took a chance on Gary Gulman's The Great Depresh (incidentally, Gulman has a cameo in Joker), and S fell asleep during it.  I thought it was excellent though, and S sometimes falls asleep during movies she likes, so I feel it was still a good pick.

In other news, the Democratic primary is now officially underway, and it's going... I dunno.  I just have no idea about what to make of any of this anymore.  As best I can tell nobody knows anything.  Bernie now seems to be the favorite, whereas six months ago I thought he was totally out of it, and Biden is foundering after entering the race as the favorite, just, like, three weeks ago.

As I've said before, I'm fine with any of them.  I, like every other sane person, want the candidate most likely to defeat Trump, but I don't know who that is, and I don't believe anybody who says they do.  You can talk to three different people -- smart, informed people -- and get three different answers, and usually a person's pick is based on their own personal preferences.  Ask a moderate and they will tell you we need a moderate to appeal to suburban women and "future former Republicans"; ask a progressive and they will tell you we need a progressive to turn out "the base"; ask a billionaire and they will tell you we need to vote for them personally.  The thing is, I see everybody's point.  I get all the arguments up and down the political spectrum; I just don't know which one to believe.

On a related note, I watched Pee-Wee's Big Adventure with the kids last weekend (still holds up!).  And there's that character Francis, played by that chubby guy from Teen Wolf (his name is literally Chubby in the movie), who was big for a hot minute in the late '80s and early '90s.  When I saw him, he reminded me of somebody, but I couldn't quite put my finger on whom.  Then it dawned on me: Donald Trump.  He's Donald Trump -- a childish, out-of-shape, amoral thief, who only knows a life of privilege because his father was super rich.  That's right, we are living in a country with Francis as president.  I mean, I don't think Trump has ever tweeted "I know you are, but what am I?" but it wouldn't surprise me if he has.  (Although, he would probably screw up the punctuation.)  President Francis.  It would be funny except for the fact our democracy is continually being undermined, our already insufficient environmental protections are being further eroded, and we are regressing in our attitudes and treatment of black and brown people, especially black and brown immigrants.  Other than those things, it would be funny.



On that note, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment