Saturday, February 22, 2020

Entry 499: "Daddy, In This Movie Indiana Looks Kinda... Old"

It's just me and the boys again tonight -- S skipped town for a business trip -- so that means pizza and a movie.  I'm still looking for a decent pizza joint that delivers to my neighborhood.  The options I've been able to find so far are Papa John's, Domino's, and Pizza Boli's.  I won't order Papa John's because the owner is a right-wing tool, and Domino's kinda sucks, so that leaves Pizza Boli's as the choice by default.  But the pizza is actually not much better than Domino's, and it's way overpriced.  I got a Caesar salad and a large one-topping pizza, and it was $33 after tip. And Pizza Boli's is not like an artisanal wood-fired pizzeria -- far from it.  It's the type of place you'd have on speed dial in college for drunken 2:00 am feasts.  I think they charge $5 for delivery, which is exorbitant.  It makes me not want to tip, but then I still tip, because I don't know who gets that $5, and I want to make sure the delivery person driver gets something.

The bottom line: I gotta find a better pizza option.  I had two in my old neighborhood, but one of them burned down (seriously, sadly), and the other one won't deliver to my new neighborhood.  There's a Ledo Pizza (solid East Coast chain) which is fairly close, but they don't do delivery at all, and that's the only convenience for me doing takeout when I'm alone with the boys.  I'd rather make something at home than put them in the car, take them out, wait in line with them, etc.

They are just not easy to wrangle in public these days.  The other night I played trivia, and this guy on my team brought his five-year-old daughter to the pub, and she just sat there and played with her sticker book the entire time.  I was, like, "Are you serious?  My kids would have been climbing on the table, literally, within the first five minutes."

"Yeah," he replied, "that's the advantage of having a girl."

Is that stereotyping?  Probably.  Is it accurate?  Probably.

It's just tough to deny that, on the whole, little girls are less rambunctious than little boys.  Whether it's the product of very early socialization or something biological it just seems to be true.  Whatever -- I don't have a problem with there being broad behavioral differences between little boys and little girls.  What I do have a problem with is when people discriminate based on these differences.  I'm all about letting people be who they are, no matter how they are.  If you're not hurting others, you're okay by me.  That's why my favorite person in sports right now is Dwyane Wade.  Watching him talk about his transgender daughter on Ellen, legit chokes me up.  At some point after becoming a dad, I also became a total sap when it comes to parents sticking up for their children.

Anyway, that was not where I was expecting this post to go.  My intent was to talk about the movie we watched: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  I had been resisting it, because I heard from multiple people it was awful, but the boys wanted to watch it, so, fine, I was kinda curious about it anyway.  And you know what?  I kinda like it.  I enjoyed it more than Joker, put it that way.  It was so ridiculous that it went all the way back around the ridiculous dial, and I actually appreciated it.  I mean, surviving a nuclear bomb strike by locking yourself in a refrigerator, swinging through the jungle with a pack of monkeys, getting carried down a hole by a swarm of ants -- that's some absurdist action fun, right there.  I also really liked the bit with the hat at the very end -- classic Indiana.

[Apparently they are making a fifth one]

In other news, it looks like Bernie won the Nevada Caucus as expected.  Is that good?  I don't know.  Nobody knows.  Nobody knows anything.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Too bad Shia Lebeouf shit all over Spielberg and won't be in the 5th movie. I like his acting, I liked his character in Crystal Skull, I liked the chemistry with Ford, and I would have liked to see that relationship fleshed out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked him too. When I first saw his greaser character I was thinking it was going to be super hokey, and it was, but it mostly worked.

    ReplyDelete