Thursday, May 7, 2020

Entry 509: B-A-N-A-N-A-S

A lot going on in our nation right now -- states are starting to relax their social distancing guidelines; Joe Biden made a statement about the sexual assault allegation against him; murder hornets are apparently a new thing we need to worry about -- so naturally I'm going to do a post about bananas.



First off, I love bananas.  They are probably my favorite fruit all things considered.  They taste good; they're plentiful and affordable; they're easy to prepare; they're don't drip juice everywhere; it's easy to tell how ripe they are; and even after they turn brown, you can use them in smoothies.  Just an all-around top-notch fruit.*  They aren't the very best at any one thing, but they don't have a weakness.  They're the Willie Mays of fruits.  We always keep our fruit bowl stocked with bananas.  In fact, at the moment, it's the only thing in our fruit bowl.

*And don't give me any of that technical botanical mumbo-jumbo, "Actually, the banana is a berry..."  No it isn't.  It's whatever we say it is, and we say it's a fruit, so it's a fruit.  Although, it's an inside joke with my friend JW that the banana is the world's largest herb.  

The other day, I noticed our banana supply was getting low, so I added five bananas to our weekly Instacart order.  The shopper, for some reason, interpreted this as five bunches of bananas.  Such is the danger of using Instacart.*

*It's still a good service though, and I didn't report the mistake or anything like that.  Those shoppers are putting their health on the line to bring me food.  I have a big tip, no complaints policy right now.  Come to think of it, I pretty much always have that policy, if only for selfish reasons.  I'm too lazy to bother complaining, and I don't like making people mad who know where I live.



What to do with 30 bananas before they attract a swarm of fruit flies?  Thankfully, we were able to offload a dozen on our neighbors.  This nice Italian family recently moved in down the street, and they came over once (the wife and three kids; I still haven't met the husband) and then everything got locked down.  Since then, we've talked to them from a distance a few times, and S exchanges occasionally texts with the wife.  They left some Nutella and homemade bread on our doorstep once, which was really sweet, so I guess we returned the favor with bananas.  I think we got the better end of that exchange.  Although, it was sourdough bread, which is not my favorite.  So...

S made banana bread today, but it's quite terrible to be honest.  I guess she's worried about the kids' sugar intake because she only used half the amount the recipe asked for.  It's not very sweet, and it's also really dry for some reason.  She said she followed all the other instructions, but I dunno.  She's not very careful about things like that.  I give it about a 50-50 chance she messed something else up.  But I'm certainly not going to press the issue.  The last thing we need is to get into a quarantine fight (a quar-rel, if you will) about banana bread.  I'm also not going to eat the bread though.  Nobody is going to.  That thing is destined for our compost bin.  I'd put it in there tonight, but S asked to save it for at least another day.  She's hoping the kids will magically like it tomorrow, even though she knows they won't.

Alright, gotta go.  It's getting late here.

Until next time...

[Here's a screenshot of the order: 5.0 Bananas.  Notice the picture is of a single banana and the approximate weight is that of a single banana.  I just wanted to make very clear that this was not an error on my end.]

No comments:

Post a Comment