Saturday, October 8, 2022

Entry 631: My Name Is Alexander Hamilton

S and I have apparently started a new tradition whereby every seven years we go see a show at the Kennedy Center that was super popular five years ago. In 2015 (we remember the date because S was pregnant with Lil' S2), we saw Book of Mormon, which was good-but-not-great, and last night we saw Hamilton, which was absolutely phenomenal. I now get the ridiculous amount of hype that has surrounded this show for the better part of a decade. I loved every moment of it. It wasn't the original cast, of course, but the music and lyrics and concept are so brilliant that it doesn't even matter. (And the actors we did see were really good anyway.) A few months ago, we almost watched the movie version on Disney+, but decided not to, so as not to spoil the stage version, and I'm very glad we made that decision.

The other thing is that it's just nice to go out sans kids and do "cultured" activities. The Kennedy Center is a cool landmark in and of itself (right next door to the infamous Watergate Hotel), so it's especially neat to see a show there. We got there early, which was nice, as we were both hungry, so we had a chance to get some overpriced charcuterie before the show. We had excellent seats, almost perfectly front and center, which I'm sure is part of what made it such a fun experience. Although I'm a little worried now that I can't go back to "normal" seating. Oh well, if we only do this once every seven years, we should be able to splurge for the good seats.

The Kennedy Center still has a mask mandate, making it one of the few non-medical establishments I've seen that has one. It didn't seem to be enforced at all, however, which is fine by me, as it's quite silly how they do it. It's only required (putatively) in the theater proper, so you are supposed to wear it when you are sitting next to the same few people, looking straight ahead, but it's not required when you're milling around, rubbing elbows with dozens of different people in the lobby or waiting in line for concessions or the bathroom. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But the Kennedy Center has a certain clientele, and rich liberals seem to be the last holdouts when it comes to nonsensical masking rules.

On the flip side, Covid is still going strong -- or at least strong enough that people I know are still getting infected regularly (if not virulently). S's sister, Sw, is that latest victim, testing positive earlier this week. This is especially bad timing as she was planning on taking Lil' S1 to some woodsy getaway for the long getaway. It was going to be a auntie-nephew bonding experience, and Lil' S1 was really looking forward to it. We decided to let him go anyway, which might have been irresponsible, I don't know. The thing is, it was a really mild case, and she isn't really feeling symptoms anymore (otherwise she would've stayed home herself), and it's right on the edge of when she's allowed to go back out in public, and they both said they'll do their best to wear masks in the car and when they're together indoors, so... whatever. We will hope for the best.

S is also out of town -- she took Lil' S2 to visit a friend in Boston -- so I have the house to myself for the weekend. That sounds nice, and it is, but it also is an obligation. I have a list of tasks I've been putting off, things that are too difficult to find the time to do when kids are around (or so I tell myself, so that I don't have to do them), and now I have no excuse.* So, while I would like to just spend the weekend watching sports, I at least have to make some progress on my list, so that I don't feel like a total goldbrick. But I definitely am going to watch sports too. The Mariners are in the playoffs (and ahead in their series!), and my old friend and fellow baseball lover RB is in town, so I'm going to meet her in about an hour. I am going to crack down on my list tomorrow though.

*Reminds me of this classic article in The Onion

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment