Saturday, August 26, 2023

Entry 676: Back To School

Nice night here in DC -- maybe a little on the hot side, but when you sit out with a fan on, it's quite nice. Getting our decked screened-in was such a good move. It was pricey, but worth it, because it means we can actually enjoy sitting outside now without having to slather ourselves in bug spray. We sit out there all the time now. I'd be out there right now, but the neighborhoods are over using our trampoline, and I don't feel much like socializing at the moment. So, I'll just hide away in the basement, instead, blogging and tending to my sore head.

My head is sore because I got stung by an insect today while running -- at least that's what I think happened. All I know is I suddenly felt a sharp pain on the back of my head just to the side of my left ear, like somebody had jabbed a needle into me. I reflexively grabbed up there and threw whatever was on me off of me, but the only thing I felt (or saw) leave my head was my headband. Then that spot hurt, like really hurt. And it still hurts now. It's not particularly swollen -- it's barely noticeable, just a little red dot -- and I'm not having any sort of allergic reaction to it, so I'm not super worried about it, but it certainly smarts. It's so weird. I've been stung by a bee before, and it never hurt this bad for this long. So, it makes me think it was something else, but what? A spider? A tree snake? A blow dart? I dunno, but I guess this is what I get for going with the headband instead of the hat, my usual running headwear.

In other news, 'tis the season of birthdays for the G & G boys. All three of us have them within 15 days of one another at the end of August. Mine is last, which usually means I get short-shrift, which is fine by me. Last year my birthday cake was left-over ice cream cake from Lil' S1's birthday. We just put a candle on it, turned it around so that the half-eaten part wasn't obvious in photographs, and called it good. I mean, I love ice cream cake, and we had a significant portion of one in our freezer that was going to get all gummy and gross if we didn't eat it, so it would've been silly to get a whole other dessert.

I'm not even sure what I'll do on my birthday this year. It's on a weekday, and I don't want to take any more vacation, so I'll work from home for part of it, and then... I don't know. I might actually go shopping, which would be a strange birthday activity, given that I hate shopping, but I need jeans, and if I have to shop for jeans, I like for S to come with me, and my birthday might be one of those rare moments, when we have a few hours to do something without kids around. So, I might just have to go practical. That's the way to go, anyway. When you're a kid, socks is the epitome of a lame gift, but now if somebody bought me some nice socks that actually fit, I'd love it.

Originally, I wanted S to buy me some jeans online, so I wouldn't have to go anywhere. I gave her my size, and she went to the sites of the brands she likes, but she said there are too many different options, and I will need to try them on. She's right -- last time I bought jeans I tried on one pair and then bought another pair with the same waist and length without trying it on, but they were a different cut, so now I have a pair of quasi-skinny jeans that I don't really like. When your legs are as buff as mine, anything with a taper to it looks weird.

In other other news, school starts on Monday. We're about to hit a milestone: our first child's first day of middle school. We'll see how it goes. He has to take the bus -- like, the city bus; DCPS doesn't have school buses -- to get there, but so do a bunch of other kids in our neighborhood, including a few of his friends, so I think he'll be fine. He's kinda fearless in that way, which is a great trait to have. (Conversely, he will veto the movie choice of his brother -- his three-year younger brother -- because it's too scary.) The hardest part will probably be getting him up in the morning. He has to leave about an hour earlier than he did last year, and he is not always super easy to wake up in the morning. He's like his old man in that regard. He always wants to stay up late to read and sleep in a bit. So, he'll have learn, like I did, to adapt. (At least until college when he can schedule only afternoon classes and sleep until noon.) The world just isn't cut out for us night owls.

 Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment