Saturday, December 29, 2012

Entry 151: Little Big News

The big news is that my brother and his wife had their first child a few days ago.  It's a boy!  Welcome to this world Lil' Q, which is what I shall call you in this blog henceforth.  Lil' Q is only little in the sense that all babies are little; compared to other newborns he's quite big, just two oz. shy of 10 lbs.  He's literally twice as heavy as Lil' S was when he was born.  Even today Lil' S isn't that much heavier; he went to the doctor yesterday, and now four months old, he weighs 13 lbs.  That's a bit on the light side, but nothing unhealthy, it's right around the start of the second quartile.  He's 26 inches long which puts him in the 90th percentile in length -- a little beanpole.

Anyway, congrats to my bro and sis-in-law.

[Big Baby]

In other news, the holiday season is quickly passing us by in what seems like a blur.  S and I didn't really celebrate anything this year, because it was just us on Christmas Day (S's family came to visit for a few days from SC, but they left on Christmas Morning to avoid holiday traffic).  Also, neither of us are Christian, and Lil' S is still too young to care about much of anything outside of drooling, so there's no need yet to do anything on his behalf.

We were invited to a New Year's Eve party, but we aren't going.  It's not really a kid-friendly type of deal, and it's too much hassle and expense to find a babysitter.  Plus, S has trouble staying up past 10:00, making it to midnight is just too much to ask.  We are going to a holiday party tomorrow, but I'm not super excited about it.  Who plans a party on a Sunday the last week of the football season?  Non-Americans, that's who.  The party is being throw by S's coworker, and in her line of work there are a lot of international people.  They don't get what a faux pas they're committing by having a party at a time when the nation should all be at home watching the NFL playoff races unfold.  Well, at least the Seahawks clinched a postseason spot last week.  If they hadn't, I have a feeling my marriage would really be put to the test tomorrow.


[I have this theory that Russell Wilson looks like a combination between Michael from "The Wire", and that Rutgers student who got in trouble for spying on his gay roommate.  What do you think?]



I think we'll have to bring something to this party too, so tack on some extra time and effort for that.  S bought a bunch of samosas yesterday at the India Store to bring, but I'm not sure what she was thinking.  Samosas are fried, and crispy, and flaky, that's what makes them delicious.  If you store them in the fridge for two days they are going to be soggy and congealed and gross.  Well, maybe not gross, but not nearly as good as when they're fresh -- certainly not bring-to-a-party worthy.  I said this to S, and her response was that she'd leave them out for two days.  When I said this would be worse because they'd probably go bad, like bad bad, like grow mold or something, she just kinda shrugged her shoulders.  So now we have a dozen samosas in our fridge that I'm not sure what we're going to do with.  S does this sometimes.  Her food forethought isn't always on point.  Several times she's brought home a huge bunch of ripe bananas, and since bananas go bad pretty quickly we'd eat a few of them, and then have to chuck the rest.  I got on her case about it (I hate wasting food), so then the next time she comes home with a giant bunch of completely green bananas.  Great, so in a few days they'll all be ripe, and then we're just going to have the same problem.  I noticed that on her latest run, she again got green bananas, but just a few this time, so she's getting better I think.

[That shit's bananas]

 Anyway...

I took the last week off and don't have to be back at work until Wednesday.  It's a nice little vacation for me, but with a four-month old in the house, time-off just isn't what it used to be.  We got spoiled by having S's mom stay with us for so long (she went back to SC on Christmas Day with the rest of the family).  She doted on her grandson constantly and really took a lot of the burden off us.  Now we're really realizing how energy-sapping raising an infant is.  I'll be happy when Lil' S is a bit older and can entertain himself even for just a few minutes -- a half hour here and there is all I ask.  He's at a stage where if somebody isn't constantly paying attention to him he starts to whine, and if you don't do something about his whine then it turns into a full-on blood-curdling cry.  And somehow he knows if you're trying to multitask, and he doesn't like it.  I tried to hold him and read at the same time, and he wasn't having any of it.  The only saving grace is that he naps a decent amount (he's napping right now).  But then you have to tiptoe around the house trying to get everything done before he wakes up.  It's like you can hear the *tick-tick-tick* in your head.  But, I'm sure we should just try to enjoy this time with him now, as when he's older we'll probably look back misty-eyed and wonder what happened to our little baby.

OK, that's all I have time for this week.  Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I remember calling mom when B was about 3 mos old and complaining how exhausting it is to be on all the time. Fuj would come home and I'd immediately hand off B saying "I just can't put on the show anymore."

    Now my kids can entertain themselves fairly well, although sometimes that's pretty annoying too. For instance, B's decided saying buttcheeks 50 times in a row is hilarious. And it was, the first time. Not so much the 10th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha... Yeah, I remember B as an infant and how stressed out you'd get at times. In my memory he's a particularly difficult baby, but maybe that's just in my memory. I seem to recall him melting down more often than Lil' S -- could be I'm just more desensitized to it now.

    ReplyDelete