Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Entry 163: Little Baby Fussbudget

Fussbudget (noun) : one who fusses or is fussy especially about trifles 

I learned a new word today.  I came upon "fussbudget" looking up "fusspot", which is what I've been calling Lil' S lately.  This morning I thought to myself, "Is 'fusspot' an actually word, or is it just something I made up?"  Turns out it's the former, which is a shame, because I overheard S using it in casual conversation the other day, and it would be funny if she was using something I made up.

I think I like "fussbudget" better than "fusspot", but they're both pretty cool words, and they're both very fitting for Lil' S the past week.  That kid has been wearing us out.  I don't know what it is, but he's been crankier than a crankshaft.  He's crying a lot, he hasn't wanted to eat, and he's been filling up his diapers with something that would sicken a dung beetle.

[Have you ever read a Peanuts cartoon that made you laugh?]

Last night was the worst.  He woke up every other hour in a state of bloodcurdling hysterics.  It got to the point where S had to sleep next to him in the guest bed, so that she could console him immediately whenever he woke up, before he went into full meltdown mode.  She was up all night and had to take a sick day from work today to recover.  The worst part of it all is that she announced that she's not doing it again tonight -- she's sleeping in the basement -- which means I'm on baby detail.  Not having the ability to breastfeed, graveyard-shift baby detail is at least 150% harder for me than it is for S, but I don't have to do it often, so... Actually, I'm cautiously optimistic.  He was been pretty normal during his bedtime routine tonight, and he's been sleeping soundly thus far.  Maybe (I hope) he's tired from last night.  We shall see.

I'd like to know what's been causing all this rigmarole, but I suspect we'll never know.  Teething?  A stomach bug?  Something else?  I'd look online, but I'm sure I could find ample evidence to support any malady I could come up with.  I've found when it comes to medical diagnoses, the Internet usually does more harm than good.

Until next time...

[Update: He's already woken up twice and is current bawling.  Sigh...]

No comments:

Post a Comment