Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Entry 171: Easter and Stuff

My folks are in town, so I'll try to make this brief.  They're occupied right now watching some British such-and-such on PBS, so I have a few minutes to try to crank something out.  The only problem is that I'm not great at making things brief.  I can make things short, word count-wise, but somehow all my entries seem to take the same amount of (longish) time.  A shorter entry probably means I typed the same number of words as usual, just fewer made the final cut.*  I've tried before to make a concerted effort to write faster, but I can't really do it.  I'm a slow reader and writer -- that's just how I roll.


It's been great seeing my parents so far.  They do really well with Lil' S and vice-versa.  They watched him the entire day the past two days while S and I were at work, and everybody is still alive, so -- success!  He's a little stuffed up again, but it's not as bad as last time.  He seems to be past the worst of it.  He's not sleeping through the night on anything approaching a consistent basis, but that's in sickness and in health, unfortunately.  Here's my schedule the past few nights:

Baby monitoring duty, 8 p.m. - 1 a.m.
Sleep in my bed (alone), 1 a.m. - 4 a.m.
Sleep in the basement, 4:15 a.m. - 6:30 a.m. (swap with S who goes to our bed)
"Sleep" with the little guy in our bed, 6:35 a.m. - 7:45 a.m.
Wake up, 7:45 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. (depending on how many times I hit snooze)

It's more a game of musical beds than it is a night's sleep.  But I'm getting used to it, and it will end someday... I hope.

We went to a kite festival this Saturday on the National Mall.  It was pretty fun.  The weather was nice, so we were able to walk around a bit, and then we sat down on a blanket and ate lunch with some other couples we kinda know who also have zero-year old kids.  It's funny, having a child is a bit like being a child when it comes to hanging out with people.  Remember when you were a kid, and you'd be around another kid and all that would need to be established was that you both had a red bike, and then it was like, "Cool!  Let's go play!"?  Now, it's like, "Hey, you have an infant, too.  Cool, let's talk about strollers and bodily functions!"   


After the festival we went into Potbelly Sandwich Works to get one of their famous old-fashioned milk shakes.  I was going to get Oreo**.  I was anticipating it the entire fifteen-minute walk to the shop.  I so had my heart set on it.  I hadn't been that eagerly anticipating a milk shake since... well, ever.    Of course, they were out of milk.  Heartbreak.  I tried to fill the void with a Dove bar from CVS, but it just wasn't the same.

Sunday was Easter, which I'd completely forgotten about.  My family used to celebrate Easter as a kid -- baskets of candy, ham for dinner, and all that -- but now my Easter plans are strictly incidental.  We never actually plan anything "for Easter", but it's a day things are going on, so often we end up doing something.  This year we went up to Baltimore to visit my cousin B, his wife A, and their four-month old Lil' M (babymania).  It's sort of embarrassing that I've had a first-cousin living 30 miles from me for the past year and a half and Sunday was the first time we've gone up there to see them, but so it goes -- it's been a pretty busy year and a half.

B and A are both architects, and they bought, gutted, and rebuilt a row house in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore.  The house is really cool and so is the neighborhood.  We had some dinner and wine, chatted, and watched a little college basketball.  The only bad thing is that I saw the now infamous Kevin Ware injury and wished I hadn't.  Turns out seeing a college kid's shin and foot dangle from this knee like a limp unfurled flag is not the greatest way to put a cap on the evening.  Still, pretty good night, overall.

Until next time...

*And here's where you make the joke, "Wow, if this is what you keep, how bad is the stuff you cut!"  Haha.

**I don't much care for the Oreo as a cookie, but put it in ice cream, and now you've got something.  By the way, have you ever heard of the Oreo-like cookie, Hydrox?  It actually predates the Oreo, and yet the Oreo is much more prevalent now.  Probably because of the name.  Hydrox sounds more like a cleanser or a drug for erectile dysfunction that it does a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment