Thursday, April 18, 2013

Entry 175: Bad Times

Wow, rough stretch, this.  Last week I melt our carrot peeler, and then this week this happens, and then this, and then this.  Craziness (well, at least two out of three, the other one was just an accident).

The FBI has released photos of two people of interest in the Boston Marathon bombings, so hopefully this goes somewhere.  So far my main take away from this has been just what a cluster-eff our media is.  I wish there was someway to impose a law that news outlets can only break news for two hours out of every day.  During the other the 22 hours, no new stories, no new developments, no changing the scroller at the bottom of the screen, no updating their website or blog or Facebook page or Twitter -- nothing new.  Instead, they actually have to take the time to investigate things properly, get the facts right, decide what to run, and present it in a measured fashion.  You know, actual journalism, not this succession of pseuo-information, Yahoo!, click-on-me, nothing-story garbage we have now.  I already know not to click on Yahoo! headlines under any circumstances*, but I didn't realize how bad other sites are as well.  CNN for instance is atrocious.  Weren't they once legit?  I guess you can toss them onto the turned-to-shite trash heap with ESPN and MTV.

[To honor Boston, I present the images of random players from my childhood from each of the city's four major sports teams.]


As for the actual bombings, it's terrible, obviously, but it's important to have a little bit of perspective.  We freak out when things like this happen, but they're super, super rare.  As I've mentioned before, it's really weird the things we're scared of.  It doesn't make much sense.  This piece hit the nail on the head for me.

As for the other stuff, the fertilizer plant explosion and the failed gun control vote: I don't have anything to say about the former, and I have too much to say about the latter.  Too much, because it's getting kinda late, and I don't have the energy to put it into words right now.  I'll just say that I liked the president's speech.  Also, the Senate should change the filibuster rules.  Yes, I would say this even if it was being used to block something I didn't support. 

Until next time...

*I have an account for fantasy baseball and an old email address that's become my "spam account", so I go there a few times a day.  I must admit, I'm drawn to the headlines.  But I've been burned too many times before, so now if I see something intriguing I'll look it up on a different site instead of clicking the link.  If I can't immediately find it on another site, it means it wasn't worth reading.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is a decent post, and a pretty good blog overall. Nice work!

    -Yourself

    (I wanted to test out the comment function. Got an email saying it was being difficult.)

    ReplyDelete