Thursday, August 8, 2013

Entry 193: A Quick Quickie Written Quickly

Not a lot of time to write tonight, so I'm just going to bang out a quickie.  For those of you expecting wine and candles and a massage, it's not going to happen.

This month is a busy month for us.  Most of it is fun stuff, so I'm not complaining, just saying.  Last weekend my sister and brother-in-law and kids came out to visit, which was super fun.  Her youngest of two boys, G, just turned five, and he acts like it.  He kept getting annoyed with Lil' S, because Lil' S would come over and try to play with him, which entailed grabbing and messing up whatever he was holding at the time (often a Lego structure).  So G would get upset, which of course is hilarious being that what Lil' S was doing to him is exactly what he's constantly doing to his older brother.  If only five-year olds could understand irony.

["Stand By Me" was set in Oregon, but the novella whence it was adapted, "The Body" was set in Maine, which makes sense being that it was written by Stephen King.  By the way, on the Wikipedia page for Jerry O'Connell it says "Redirected From the Fat Kid in Stand By Me".  Well, that's definitely a better legacy than "Kangaroo Jack".]

Tomorrow we're headed to Maine for our friends' wedding, Rockport, Maine, as it is.  I've never been to any city in Maine, Rockport or elsewhere, so I guess after this weekend I'll be able to cross a new state off my list.  Actually, I have no such list, not even a mental one.  If I tried to name all the states I've visited I'd have to sit down and really think about it.  Also, I'd have to come up with some rules.  Airport-only layovers definitely wouldn't count, but what if I drove through a state but never got out of the car?  Or only got out to eat and get gas and use the bathroom?  (Maybe it'd count if it was number two, but not number one.)  What if I drove entirely in the dark, stayed in a hotel, woke up the next morning while it was still dark and crossed the state line before dawn had broken? 

I actually did that in Kansas on a cross-country trip once.  I stayed in the shittiest hotel I've ever been in, hands down.  It was worse than that hotel on Breaking Bad where that hooker with the messed up teeth hangs out (by the way, can't wait for the final half-season, Sunday, baby).  But it was cheap, and I just needed a place to crash for the night.  What was the harm?  I mean, other than the crabs.

Alright, that's it.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment