Monday, August 26, 2013

Entry 196: The 'Hood, One Year Down

It has now been one year in the 'hood for me -- fatherhood, that is.  And in that year I've developed enough material to fill a hack-y comedy book.



Here are some of my thoughts.
  • All childbirth classes and childbirth books are a waste of time and money.  I sorta suspected this before I had a kid, now I know it for sure.
  • It's not fair that breastfeeding mothers have to be the ones who wake up and do all the nighttime feedings, but it worked out very well for me.
  • My kid was breech, and he has two top teeth stubs, but nothing on the bottom.  I think he's developing upside down.
  • The only OTC medicine I'll give my kid is fever reducer if he has a fever.  I'm convinced everything is else bunk.
  • A decent smell-resistant diaper pale is a good investment.  Slight wafts of poo is a huge upgrade from an effluvial deluge of poo.
  • My wife is much more into sterilization than I am. 
  • You find yourself hanging out with adults who happen to have a kid the same age as yours much more than your friends.
  • Breaking Bad is a great show.  This has nothing to do with kids.  I just still have last night's episode rattling around in my brain.  I'm completely buying into the Breaking Bad hype, reading the "precaps" and recaps and all that.  Bryan Cranston might be the greatest actor ever.  If you think this is hyperbole then ask yourself how it is that Walt White and the dad from Malcolm in the Middle can possibly be the same person.  I literally can't get these two characters to cohere in my head.
     
  • My son is super small (like third percentile in weight), but he's fast and agile.  I feel like after you say your kid is super small, you have to follow it up with something he or she does well.
  • Kids can fall distances of up to three feet onto hard surfaces and have not so much as a bruise on them.
  • Sick kids are awful.  Mothers' of sick kids aren't exactly rays of sunshine either.
  • Pictures of kids are the best part of Facebook.
  • The worst part about being a parent is having to put up with all the stupid shit (music, videos, toys, etc.) your kid likes.  Things like The Muppet Show are a godsend.
  • My son has long curls in the back, and I really want to give him a baby mullet, but my wife doesn't like the idea.
  • Babies and evening parties at which there are no other babies are a bad mix.
  • We had a party recently, and we started it at 11 a.m., and it all made perfect sense.
  • Somehow babies know which remote control actually controls the device you're using, and they want it.
  • The lack of sleep is the one thing all parents say completely sucks about being a parent that completely sucks.
 Speaking of which, it's getting late.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Agree wholeheartedly with everything on your list (except the mullet).
    Got one more unanimously awful part of parenthood (Have fun with it!): Potty training. Urg. Still hurts me to think about going through it. TWICE!
    And, I would be remiss if I didn't second your praise of Breaking Bad. I can't believe, even at the end of the series, how it stays this engaging, smart, and suspenseful. The writers and every one of the actors, especially Mr. Cranston, are GENIUSES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I agree with you and hubby about everything except the childbirth classes and books being a waste of money since I never would have dreamed of attempting my (fortunately 100% successful) med-free births without them. And, for the record, I don't think many can pull off a baby mullet, but I think lil S could rock it.

    And I triple your praise of Breaking Bad and awe of Bryan Cranston. A few of the things he did as Hal (disco skating and speed walking anyone?) are some of the most hilarious I've ever seen on tv and some of the things he's done as Walt (poisoning Brock and threatening Hank) the most chilling. How indeed is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was listening to podcast on which "Breaking Bad" was being discussed, and the host said something to the effect of, it might not be the very best TV show ever (stiff competition from "The Wire" and "The Sopranos"), but so far it's had the best last season ever. It's tough to disagree. Hopefully Gilligan and writers can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete