Friday, September 24, 2010

Entry 20: Bellyaching


[This is roughly half of what I ate on Sunday. It was so delicious. It was almost worth it.]


It seems like I only have the time now to update this blog on the weekend. In getting settled in at work (and thus doing a bit more) and with S being back it’s hard to find the time to post during the week. I’ll try to do it at least one week day a week from now on, though.

So the title of this entry does not refer to complaining (although I do love to do that), but rather to my belly literally aching. I ate too much at a barbecue last Sunday and my stomach hurt. It wasn’t like I overdid it a bit, took some Pepto, and slept it off. I way overate (at one point I counted roughly twenty rib bones on my plate) and after the barbecue spent much of the night doubled over in pain, making moaning noises in S’s direction. She was sympathetic, to her credit, since she told me the entire night to go easy. I didn’t listen and I paid the price. I have never been in that much pain before from overeating. At one point I felt like I might throw up, so I just sat by the toilet for a few minutes. S came in to check on me and rub my head. I felt like a sorority girl who ate the fruit at the bottom of the party punch.

In other news, my adventures on the bus seem to never cease. A few days ago a man with a cane got on, attempted to walk up the steps to the back of the bus, then fell down writhing in pain grasping his knee. I yelled to the bus driver to stop the bus then the driver and I went over to help the man. Turns out he has a prosthetic leg, which somehow got caught on the step and bent his stub forcefully in an unnatural direction. We had to phone an ambulance and then take his leg off, which required taking his pants off (I let the bus driver take the lead on that one). Then we just sat there until the ambulance came – me, the driver, and the man in his underpants with half a leg. There were a few others on the bus, but they were women, who had moved to the front of the bus to avert their eyes, so as to avoid further embarrassment to this man. I wasn’t quite sure what the etiquette was while waiting for the ambulance. Could I read? Is that disrespectful? We are just sitting here waiting, after all. It’s pretty boring. I decided to listen to some podcasts on my iPod, which nobody seemed to mind. Eventually the ambulance came, they loaded him onto it, and the bus rolled on. The entire episode took about an hour.

He seemed to be mostly OK. I am not sure how serious the injury actually was. I don’t want to question his sincerity, but once, years ago, S and I were in a similar situation. An old lady fell coming out of the subway, and it caused a huge scene. To me it just looked like she slipped, but she was acting as if she was seriously hurt. A subway employee came over and offered to call an ambulance, but told her that if this was not a serious emergency, the ambulance could be very expensive, in the $10,000 ballpark. Miraculously the woman then could walk completely fine, and she left the station on her own accord. I think she was extremely embarrassed and played up her “injury” to mask the fact that she just flat out fell. I got this same feeling from the man with the prosthetic leg. But, who can say? Also, I’m not sure why he was even trying to go up the steps to the back of the bus. Almost the entire front was available. It’s very strange.

Anyway, work is going OK. I’m getting extremely annoyed with the IT support, but I was forewarned that it’s not very good. It’s an adjustment for me coming from the US which I’m finding actually has relatively good tech support. Everything here is do it yourself, which is inefficient if you are not a computer whiz (which I’m not). I need to install this program on my computer to start a project, but it fails whenever I try to do so, for some reason. I haven’t been able to get a straight answer why. There is a guy in the department who is really sharp with computers, so I’m going to ask him for help on Monday, I think. I’m completely blocked from working on the project (my main project) until this is resolved. I can work on my side project for now, but soon I need to get back to my main project.

OK, time to go. Gotta hit the gym.

PS -- Speaking of ribs, here's a classic scene from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka featuring a very young Chris Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment