Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Entry 21: NFL and T&A

Last Saturday* the grand finale championship game of the Australian Football League was played. It featured the Collingwood Magpies and the St. Kilda Saints. Remarkably, the game ended in a 68-68 draw, so they are going to play another championship game this coming Saturday. Seriously, they are going to play a whole new game. Over 100,000 fans attended the game and they didn’t even get to see a winner. It would be like if the Super Bowl was tied after regulation and instead of playing overtime they just played another Super Bowl the next week. It seems insane to me. But, it does mean that I can watch this time. I didn’t watch last weekend.

In news about my football (NFL), I’m happy to report that they actually show it here on normal TV. I have to wake up a 6am on Monday to watch it, but still I can watch it. Sometimes they show a game live, sometimes they show it on an hour and a half delay and filter out a lot of the garbage (half time, injuries, time outs, etc.). This is nice, because it’s a condensed, action-packed version (and it means they have time to show two games instead of one), but it’s also bad because then it’s harder for me to follow the games online that aren’t on TV, because I will see online the score of the game that is on TV, and it will ruin the surprise of that game for me. So, what I do is I watch the game on TV, and I open a window on my computer that gives a play-by-play description of the Seahawks game, but I size the window perfectly so that it only shows the Seahawks game and no other games. This way I can follow the Seahawks online and watch the TV game and not have the ending be spoiled. I might even have S open and size the window for me if she’s awake, just so that I avoid any updates or pop-ups that would reveal the score.

In other NFL news, there was a story a week ago about a fluff reporter for a Mexican TV station who entered the New York Jets locker room after a game to do an interview, and complained that she received inappropriate comments and felt “uncomfortable”. I heard about this on a call-in radio show, and nearly all the female callers were taking the side of the team, saying, in essence, that the woman didn’t deserve professional treatment because she didn’t dress professionally. I thought this was quite harsh on the woman (I mean what's professional to one might not be professional to others), so I went home to see if I could find some pictures of her in a typical work outfit. Of course, it wasn't difficult (see below) if there is one thing the Internet can deliver reliably it's pictures of attractive females.


[Girls, if you want to be reporters study hard. It obviously takes a lot of hard work and schooling.]

My take on it now is this. It’s still definitely not okay for the players to catcall her. They are at work, after all. It’s not a Jillian's on single's night. But, the whole thing probably could have been avoided if she dressed like she was at work and not at a bar (apparently she wears heels on the grass sidelines, which is absurd). It’s like when I didn’t lock my bike up and somebody stole it. I wasn’t in the wrong, the person who stole it was in the wrong, but I could have easily prevented it. If this woman is sensitive to off-color comments, maybe it’s not the best idea to wear jeans that are tighter than bicycle spandex in the presence of 50 knuckleheaded, half-naked 25 year-old alpha males, with stratospheric testosterone levels. Just a thought.

*By the way I hate the ambiguity that can arise when we use terms like last, this, and next when referring to days of the week. If it’s Wednesday then what’s “next Saturday”? Is it the actual next Saturday or is it the Saturday of next week? And what’s “last Monday” is it two days ago or the Monday of last week?

1 comment:

  1. Hey! You beat me to posting a picture of myself in my jeans!

    Seriously, that women's outfit is screaming for attention and she's upset that she got it? Women. Men have no hope of ever understanding us because, in the end, we don't even understand ourselves.

    ReplyDelete