Sunday, October 24, 2010

Entry 27: Absentmindedness and nostalgia

I don’t really like the stereotype of the absentminded academic, but I must admit, sometimes it fits me. A few days ago there was a perfect example of this. S has a French class that she goes to on Wednesday nights on campus, so on those days I will stay late, go to the gym on campus, and then we will ride the bus home together after her class. Well, I just completely forgot about it last Wednesday. I got on the bus at the usual time, went to the gym near our apartment at the usual time, worked out, and then came home at the usual time. When I arrived at our apartment S wasn’t home (she went to class), which I thought was weird, so I got out my phone to call her and noticed I had a missed a call from her, and she had sent me the following text, “Babe where r u? Am at ur office”. That’s when I finally remembered. Oops. My bad.

S, thankfully, wasn’t too annoyed. She wasn’t relying on me for anything other than company on the bus ride home, so it’s not like I completely messed up her schedule, but still. I felt bad about it, so in addition to giving her a heartfelt apology, I bought a bottle of wine and a piece of chocolate peanut butter pie (good thing we live right by a bottle shop and about ten cafes). That mostly smoothed things over. I guess gifts are a good way to avoid the doghouse, at least for minor infractions. I doubt wine and pie would work if I tried to go Tiger Woods on her.

It’s a miserable day today weather-wise. Late last night it started dumping rain and just didn’t let up. It’s supposed to continue tomorrow as well, which is unfortunate since my route to work involves a decent amount of walking, and I don’t like getting wet. I did shell out some dough for a nice umbrella though. After my $5 one was completely destroyed by a mild breeze, I realized it makes sense to get something decent.

Luckily, yesterday before the rainstorm came through S and I were able to get a nice walk to the beach. The weather was a bit overcast and windy, but warm enough. Overcast, windy days at the beach make me quite nostalgic. They remind me of trips to Long Beach, WA where I would go with my family and family friends to vacation sometimes throughout my childhood, and Cannon Beach, OR where I would go with my friend J and his parents (they were divorced and would take us for a week a piece) during junior high. I have very vivid memories of listening to a specific mixed tape on a boom box with a beach fire going and haystack rock in the skyline. The tape included Helmet, Alice In Chains, The Sugar Cubes, and The Lemonheads (early 90s classics).

[Long Beach, Washington. Great place, but I find the sign's claim dubious.]

[Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, Oregon. You might recognize it from "The Goonies".]

Speaking of being in junior high, there were some kids at the beach of about that age that were goofing around and doing back flips off the pathway ledge onto the sand a few feet below. It was pretty impressive. I could relate. Not that my friends or I could do anything as cool as back flips, but I remember being that age, too old to “play”, too young to drive, where you’d say, “I’m bored, let’s go to [public place within walking distance] and do [pointless activity]”. Chris Rock does a funny bit about this, where in response to everybody clamoring about the need for teens to have activities, like midnight basketball, to keep them out of trouble, Rock says something to the effective of, “Whatever happened to just being bored?” It’s funny because it’s true.

In other news, I have noticed a somewhat popular men’s hairstyle here is the mohawk-mullet. It comes in chic,

[Sexy Spanish soccer star Cristiano Renaldo.]

white trash,

[Joe Schmo.]

and my personal favorite Bosworth. (Even though probably nobody here has ever heard of Brian Bosworth*.)

[NFL bust and Stone Cold star Brian Bosworth.]

I took a great picture of some dude at a restaurant with a sweet mohawk-mullet, but I can’t figure out how to send a pic from my phone to an email address. If I ever do, I will post it. The funniest part is that the dude’s son had the exact same hairstyle. He was too wily for me to discreetly get a photo though.

*Brian Bosworth is best known for a single play in which he was overpowered by Bo Jackson on a touchdown run. Although, in watching the video it’s a wonder why. Jackson definitely gets the better of "The Boz", but it’s really nothing special. You see that type of play in every NFL game.

No comments:

Post a Comment